Thread: Are Fin Fun tails and monofins good?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar

Are Fin Fun tails and monofins good?

I got my tax refund and this year I don't have any need for big purchases, so I plan on just saving it. But I am tempted to splurge a little and get one of those Fin Fun tails I've been eyeing! But even a little splurge is still a splurge, so I want to make sure I'd be getting a good deal.

How are the monofins? The website says they fit any shoe size, is that really true? The monofin I currently use is the Finis Foil monofin, do you think it would be hard for me to get used to swimming in the Fin Fun one? I did pick up on swimming in the Finis one immediately so I wouldn't think it would be a big issue. Also, how are the tails themselves?

One more thing, do they have sales very often? If I decide to get a tail from them I want to know if I should wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    I got my tax refund and this year I don't have any need for big purchases, so I plan on just saving it. But I am tempted to splurge a little and get one of those Fin Fun tails I've been eyeing! But even a little splurge is still a splurge, so I want to make sure I'd be getting a good deal.

How are the monofins? The website says they fit any shoe size, is that really true? The monofin I currently use is the Finis Foil monofin, do you think it would be hard for me to get used to swimming in the Fin Fun one? I did pick up on swimming in the Finis one immediately so I wouldn't think it would be a big issue. Also, how are the tails themselves?

One more thing, do they have sales very often? If I decide to get a tail from them I want to know if I should wait.
    Hi Delphinidae! Here's my reviews on

My Mermaidens tail:
    https://youtu.be/pN6kehn55lk
    The monofin: https://youtu.be/QNO-VnEQIho
    Limited edition: https://youtu.be/_9tOMpCDaIo

The propulsion is similar to the Foil so you should have no problems!
    Often times they have sales on particular mermaid tails or holiday based sales: Easter might be a good time to buy one. If you subscribe to their email list they should notify you when deals happen.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Member Chesapeake Pod MermaidCealia's Avatar
    I had actually just gotten my very first beginners tail from FinFun! I haven’t had any interactions with other brands/monofin so I’m not sure if my ideas would be necessarily relevant. But the fabric i got is beautiful!! The print was fabulous and the monofin was very comfortable ! I can’t compare to others, but as my first tail I’m very happy and I cannot wait to get in the water !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidCealia View Post
    I had actually just gotten my very first beginners tail from FinFun! I haven’t had any interactions with other brands/monofin so I’m not sure if my ideas would be necessarily relevant. But the fabric i got is beautiful!! The print was fabulous and the monofin was very comfortable ! I can’t compare to others, but as my first tail I’m very happy and I cannot wait to get in the water !

That's good to hear. I'm also a beginner so I wanted to find out if the brand was good for beginners.

Coming from both you guys, it sounds like the brand is a good deal, so I'll spring for it! Now the hard part is deciding which one I want, ha ha. I told myself I wouldn't get a blue one since the "blonde hair with blue tail mermaid" is cliche, but the Tidal Teal is so pretty and there's a good deal on it right now so I'll probably go for that, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Hi Delphinidae! Here's my reviews on

My Mermaidens tail:
    https://youtu.be/pN6kehn55lk
    The monofin: https://youtu.be/QNO-VnEQIho
    Limited edition: https://youtu.be/_9tOMpCDaIo

The propulsion is similar to the Foil so you should have no problems!
    Often times they have sales on particular mermaid tails or holiday based sales: Easter might be a good time to buy one. If you subscribe to their email list they should notify you when deals happen.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Thanks for linking the videos! It's good to see them in action.

Member Chesapeake Pod MermaidCealia's Avatar
    Haha my wife surprised me with my first tail and she bought the watercolor waves on I think it’s called and I am so in love with the colors !

Does anyone know how often they restock? I'm seriously considering the Celtic green, and I will probably fit in a large just fine by summer, (I'm dieting HARD) but they've been out of that size for a while now.

On that note, has anyone ever painted over a fin fun tail? I'd love to try to create something that looks more like my avatar, with the black spots and white underside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Erie View Post
    Does anyone know how often they restock? I'm seriously considering the Celtic green, and I will probably fit in a large just fine by summer, (I'm dieting HARD) but they've been out of that size for a while now.

On that note, has anyone ever painted over a fin fun tail? I'd love to try to create something that looks more like my avatar, with the black spots and white underside.
    I'm also curious about restocking. I was hoping to get the Blue Tip monofin since everyone says that's the good one, but it's out of stock in adult size. I left a post on their Facebook page asking about it, but no response yet.

They responded to my FB post and said the blue tip one is being discontinued, but said they might have a few left and to call them to ask. Try posting on their FB or calling them.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I love Fin Fun. I have had two and am going to order a third today. Their monofins are floppy which give a nice, realistic movement but your performance suffers (speed)

The tails are durable af. I have had my purple for 3 years I think, and it is only now starting to pill. It's a pool only tail now. The colors stay bright and I have had no issues. Customer service was great my first buy when they sent me an xs tail instead of sm.

I have two Fin Fun tails and I love them dearly. The reinforced tips make the corners of the fluke nigh indestructible, so it’s great for beginners and anyone who swims in a pool with rough walls (like my neighborhood pool).
    The monofin foot pockets might feel a bit odd at first, and it’ll probably be tough to put on the first time, but the more you wear it, the easier it will be to put on.
    The monofin itself is floppy, so it certainly looks mermaidy, but doesn’t give a huge amount of propulsion. I do find it fairly easy to maneuver (though, to be fair, I’ve only ever used two different types of monofins).
    I’m pretty sure I heard somewhere that they restock once a week, but that may have changed.
    Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

if I have a 41-inch waist will the large stretch enough to fit me?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mermaid Amber- View Post
    if I have a 41-inch waist will the large stretch enough to fit me?
    Yes, easily. I'm 44, and their L size works on me.
    Also, they now have some even larger sizes.

Its spandex, so it is just as hard to paint as any other spandex.
    Alternatively, they have a "design you own" tail option.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!