Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for mermaid series plot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    I hear that! I'm kind of annoyed that most merfolk fiction takes place primarily on land. I'd love to see more stories about how merfolk live, their societies, all that stuff. Admittedly, that would be difficult to do for a YouTube series that likely doesn't have much of a budget.
    This is a problem with a lot of fantasy in general. Sailor Moon being a big example. You supposedly have this rich history full of interplanetary battles and kingdoms, and now it all takes place in modern-day Tokyo. A lot of Young-Adult fiction has normal high-school kids being reincarnated gods or running into ancient vampires but... they're all still in normal American high school. It grinds my gears too, because I know you don't have to have this stuff set in modern times to make it relatable. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings are all very successful fantasy series that take place in their own universes, but it feels rare that any writer wants to do that. Which is probably why we haven't gotten any cool mermaid stories like that yet.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    This is a problem with a lot of fantasy in general. Sailor Moon being a big example. You supposedly have this rich history full of interplanetary battles and kingdoms, and now it all takes place in modern-day Tokyo. A lot of Young-Adult fiction has normal high-school kids being reincarnated gods or running into ancient vampires but... they're all still in normal American high school. It grinds my gears too, because I know you don't have to have this stuff set in modern times to make it relatable. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings are all very successful fantasy series that take place in their own universes, but it feels rare that any writer wants to do that. Which is probably why we haven't gotten any cool mermaid stories like that yet.
    That, plus underwater settings also have the disadvantage of requiring more work. The physics are different, they don't have access to the same materials, they can't use the same technology, and the wildlife is different. A writer has to put a lot of thought into making a mermaid society and settlement believable, especially if they don't use magic.