Thread: Mahina Problems

Mahina Problems

Name:  IMG_8706[2.png
Views: 689
Size:  634.3 KB

So I have the Mahina monofin adult size 37-39, and I wear size 37 shoes. But I have a high foot arch, so it's a huge struggle trying to get into my monofin. And as you can see, the tops of my feet are slightly straining against the monofin. I tried to wear neoprene socks yesterday (see the other foot!) but it doesn't help (at least it'll help with the blisters).

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this normal? It's so frustrating for me because I really love the Mahina and don't know what to do. It's okay in the water, but I can't swim for too long with it otherwise it starts to hurt. Should I size up or consider getting a different monofin?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I had the same problem too. I sized up and wore 3mm neoprene socks for extra padding.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    I would size up, you can always add socks to make up the difference until it's a comfortable fit

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    The Mahina is a killer for high arches unfortunately.
    Wearing socks helps, but if the socks are too thick it's actually worse than when not wearing socks!

If you find no socks that make it more bearable, you can try trimming the part where it hurts.
    There are several mers on here who did that (carefully and slowly until it was comfortable) and they seem to be happy with the result.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Same problem. But I could not size up as they do not make a size larger than the one I got. Also, another issue is "size up" means a longer foot pocket, not wider or taller foot pocket. In my case, the pockets are not wide enough, and there is nothing you can trim to make them wider.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I've got high arches too and experienced some rubbing from my Mahina on the tops of my feet. I let the cuts heal for a week and was fine afterwards. I don't wear socks with mine and haven't run into any problems since. It's actually super comfortable once you break it in!
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    If you find no socks that make it more bearable, you can try trimming the part where it hurts.
    There are several mers on here who did that (carefully and slowly until it was comfortable) and they seem to be happy with the result.
    Trimming the monofin? I've seen a couple of photos on this forum about cutting the ends, but not the foot pockets. I might consider it, it's only the top part of my feet that hurt.

I think I'll go and try on a larger size to see how it feels.

A friend of mine also has a high foot arch. She altered the footpockets of her Mahina with heat. It fits much better now!

I got the large even though the foot pockets are a bit long, the smaller size would also have been just a tad too narrow. Definitely size up because you can fix the length issue with socks. But if your feet are being squashed from the sides that's a recipe for injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Quick solution for you wonderful mers! If you have high arches and need the pockets larger....

Take any water based lubricant and a can (I used refried beans haha). Rip off your label and lube it and your foot pocket up a bit. Push the can as far as you can into the foot pocket and heat up the monofin (we put the monofin over a heating vent overnight) this will significantly reduce the pressure with high arches and will help break in the monofin without months of use.

This will not however, solve any problems with width... Sorry guys havent figured that one out yet.

And yes this really works! My husband got the largest size of mahina monofin they have and it was still too small for him so this this hack! Hope it helps someone else!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Probably a silly question, but if I buy a size up from Adult S monofin, the foot pockets are definitely larger. But is the fluke itself also larger or the same size?

Because I already have the tailskin which fits my monofin perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornMermaid View Post
    Probably a silly question, but if I buy a size up from Adult S monofin, the foot pockets are definitely larger. But is the fluke itself also larger or the same size?

Because I already have the tailskin which fits my monofin perfectly.
    I have the adult small and my husband has the adult large. The foot pocket are the only real size difference. When on top of each other you can only tell by the pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAstra View Post
    I have the adult small and my husband has the adult large. The foot pocket are the only real size difference. When on top of each other you can only tell by the pockets.

Whew! That's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornMermaid View Post
    Whew! That's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!
    Glad to be able to help!