Thread: Florida Gators and Safety.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace

Florida Gators and Safety.

So, I'm planning a trip to Tampa at the end of the month and wold love to go swimming with my Mythic in some if the springs. I'm super excited, though a bit nervous because of what I've heard about the alligators that inhabit the area.

I know that essentially every body of water contains alligators, but does anyone have any tips for safety, especially for young kids? My toddler cousins will be along and it would be absolutely devastating if anything happened to them. Are there any springs that are less commonly frequented by gators?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Ginnie Springs is pretty safe. The springs are lagoons that are sectioned off from the main river. From what I hear, there aren't any problems with alligators. When I went, it would have been hard to miss an alligator since the water was so clear and the shore was too steep for an alligator to be comfortable on.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I was always freaked out about this so I started asking locals, I've been there about 4 times now. I saw a baby gator at Alexander springs and NO ONE CARED. lol
    When I swam at rainbow river they told me that the gators don't like the clear water and it's often too cold for them. I also swam in crystal river with the manatees.

Some mers I know like raven who live there and are in the springs all the time never seen them while mermaiding. But I've seen some scary as hell videos on youtube LOL.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post

Some mers I know like raven who live there and are in the springs all the time never seen them while mermaiding. But I've seen some scary as hell videos on youtube LOL.
    Would that be like videos of Mermaids encountering gators or just swimmers in general.

I second crystal river being a fairly tame for the gator population. It's the only place I've actually been near and the area is far too exposed for the gators to really do any hunting successfully. I miss going, I wonder what the area looks like now everything changes so fast these days.

just regular people.

I am under the impression that these special parks all have designated swimming areas that are monitored. That's been the case everytime I've gone.

then you got people like this guy....

my takeaway, stay out of blue springs. LOL

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Okay, all good to know! Thanks! That video gives me chills!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7