Thread: Worbla????

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North

Worbla????

Hey guys! I searched this forum and the internet but couldn't find an answer to my question.
    what I am wondering is for using worbla for swimmable mer accessories should I purchase worbla finest art or worbla black?
    this is the info i have found:

"What are the differences between Worbla’s Black Art and Finest Art?
    Worbla’s Finest Art (Sometimes shortened to WFA or Worbla) is highly moldable and activates between 80-90°C / 175-195°F and can be shaped easily by hand.
    Worbla’s Finest Art is opaque and used for sculpture, armor, jewelry, props, masks and many other things. TranspArt is clear and has been designed for creating clear casts of items, as well as creating things such as gems, casings for LED lights, visors, and other applications for a clear plastic.
    Worbla’s Black Art has almost all of the same properties as Finest Art, but with slightly less adhesion, a longer working time, and the ability to take much finer detail do to the smoother surface. It also requires far less work to smooth before painting.

Can I take Worbla into the pool? Lake? Sea?
    Well, that depends on several factors. Worbla itself is fine in water, though it’s suggested you rinse your pieces off afterwords to remove salt/chlorine. If your Worbla is wrapped around foam with open areas (such as the folding method) then you may have more issues with the foam reacting to the chlorine/salt water, and remember that your paint will be what is the most affected by the water. Make sure your paint is waterproof and well sealed.

Can I use Worbla for an Aquarium? Pond? Garden display?
    Worbla hasn’t been tested for long-term underwater use, but we expect that it will behave as most plastics do. It’s suggested that Worbla Black be used for water features, as it is less porous than Worbla’s Finest Art. All Worbla products are generally safe for the outdoors, though Wonderflex is suggested for pieces that may be left to the elements for very long periods of time. "

So on one hand finest art adheres better to itself which i think is very important, and on the other hand black sounds better for every other reason but I am worried it won't be adhesive enough.
    also does anyone know if e6000 is safe to use on worbla?

thanks in advance
    xxx

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    I would probably be careful using e6000 on any kind of foam material, especially if heat-working the worbla as you go. Just make sure you're in a well ventillated area and with a gas mask to protect yourself if using it long-run, and test it on a scrap piece before applying to the finished product. There are probably better adhesives out there to boost Worbla's natural tendency to stick to itself, but I can't think of any right off the bat since I've only looked into it out of curiosity.

As far as waterproofing. You can generally seal most things to be waterproof either brush-on, or spray. Probably worth researching into your local hardware department stores for available sealers, and looking around online as well. Again, I'd probably suggest testing on scrap pieces.

I've used Worbla's Black art, Finest art and Transp art for many projects. From my experience, Transp Art is the one that almost won't stick to itself unless its very very hot and even then I needed to use tools to push the pieces together. Finest art does stick to itself really well but in all honesty, Black Art stuck to itself just as easily for me. Black art is more dense and robust feeling and has a less textured surface which I really love for detail work (less sanding!). Black art also seems to be slightly less environmentally temperature affected than the Finest art (I've had pieces melt at festivals and in the car during the summer). Between Finest Art and Black Art, I would hands down go with Black art.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    omg thank you so much for this info!!! gonna order black art now!

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarie View Post
    Of course! BUT I've never used Worbla in the water before so I don't know which ones hold up best there.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarie View Post
    Let me know how it goes! I’ve considered using Worbla to make mer-armor.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

I'd never heard the name. Now I'm really stoked -- it looks like it could work for loads of other cosplay projects too @_@

"Only in death does duty end." - Warhammer 40,000
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Member Undisclosed Pod
    so I read on worbla that the black is best in water since it's less porous but I do plan on sealing it as well
    I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes! I've ordered the black and should arrive shortly so we'll see!!!
    hopefully it works great and i can use it for other things as well - i know it's commonly used for dry cosplay purposes but i've personally never worked with it before and couldn't find much about it being used in the mermaid community

There is a new kind of Worbla that is smoother than the black and as sticky as the normal one: Worbla Pearly

Don't use a heat gun on anything with E6000 already on it- from the MSDS. "At high temperatures, product decomposes to give off hydrochloric acid asgas plus other toxic and irritating vapors such as phosgene and chlorine." Some other sources say it can withstand temps up to 150ºF, but most heat guns go WELL above that temp. Just be sure to get the thermoplastic how you want it before applying any E6000

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Member Undisclosed Pod
    ohhh I never saw the pearly on their site or distributors site either that's too bad! I've already ordered the black. When it runs out i will look for the pearly thanks so much!!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Iona! Thank you so much! I definitely won't! I was just planning on doing a circlet with the worbla and then attaching gems etc with the glue after its made
    thank you for that info though I really appreciate it!