Thread: HELLLPPPPP!!!!!!

Exclamation HELLLPPPPP!!!!!!

HEELLLPPP! I have a mertailor tail, and something has happened to the fluke! I have no idea how. I went to put it on, just for kicks, today and when i slid my hand down to roll down the top, i felt the skin come away from the monofin! It seems that the glue stuff has come completely off on the bottom. how do i fix this!!!! I don't know how this could happen. it's just getting warm here, so I haven't really moved it since the day I got it. It's just been sitting on the bean bag couch in my room. it's almost as if the glue melted! but it was lying so that even if that happened it wouldn't have come apart. what do I do? i haven't even gotten the chance to swim in it yet!!!!

I just took this photo, it's my tail with my hand in it. It's a little hard to tell but obviously that bulge in the middle is where the glue has come off. and i've just discovered it happened on the top of the fin too!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Instagram: @harrietmedmonds
    Twitter: @babsannee

"Immortality is simply ubiquity in time." - Herman Melville
    "Be the flame, not the moth." - Giacomo Casanova

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    this is a known issue with his tails. It's not specifically eric's fault, the monofins are just REALLY hard to bond to. Send him an email, ask him what kind of bonding agent you can use. Usually a hardware store one is fine. In my experience, it's easier to slit a small hole in the seam on the side of the fluke to insert the tube from the caulking into it (wow that sounds dirty) then to try and reach all the way down the tail and do it. You'll just need to spread it all over the inside gap areas down there and it'll take a bit to dry. Then good as new. But I would totally email Eric first and make sure you ask him specifically what he should use. If it was glued down when you got it, and it doesnt seem like it was ever used, he can't be held responsible. This is just a known issue with tails sadly.

Yeah, it was fine when I got it. Ok, great! thanks

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    You could also try a super glue like gorilla glue. I've used it to bond to a monofin so I know it works and it will never ever come off. I would suggest using Raina's method but with the glue instead of the caulk. You just have to be sure to compress the fluke area for at least half a day so the glue doesn't foam. Good luck!

Thanks guys! should I try and get the old glue off? it's sticking to the skin just fine, so I figured it would stay if i just glued it

It should be fine to leave the old glue.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

What do you mers think about her scoring the monofin to help the outside bond to the it better? I've been working with clay, and when you want two pieces to stick together really well, you scratch ridges into both sides so they come together deeper with a stronger hold. What if she were to take a really rough sandpaper to the monofin and scratch little ridges into it for the glue to get into and hold the outside on better? Would it be a good idea or do you think it would damage the monofin too much? Just an idea.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    raven tried that and it didnt work

That's actually a pretty badass idea.
    It COULD work if done enough and depending on how thick the monofin actually is.
    Though silicone isn't really supposed to be glue. It usually has a hard time bonding to
    things that aren't silicone as well.
    You could try using weatherproof liquid nails which is essentially a type of caulk that IS
    designed to be glue. I used that to glue together pieces of a cut up fin and so far it's
    taken massive beatings without fail. It's waterproof but you need to make sure it cures
    100% before putting it underwater, so if you use it you'd probably want to work in small
    layers to ensure it cures.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    It's waterproof but you need to make sure it cures
    100% before putting it underwater, so if you use it you'd probably want to work in small
    layers to ensure it cures.
    Or work from the farthest end that you are working through to the closest part?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidPandorah View Post
    Or work from the farthest end that you are working through to the closest part?
    Yea that makes more sense than what I said, huh? xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

And how fast will it dry?

And how fast will it dry/cure?

so scratch it, and then work slowly. do you know where i could buy it?? I tried asking what bonding agent he uses through Matty but he hasn't PMed me back...