Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 32.14%
  • No

19 67.86%

Thread: Should there be a age limit on mermaid tails

Should there be a age limit on mermaid tails

Do you think there should be a age limit on mermaid tails.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I think that it really should be up to how strong of a swimmer someone is.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    I think that it really should be up to how strong of a swimmer someone is.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    And really, kids under a certain age should be supervised during swimming even if they're skilled.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Should there be a age limit on mermaid tails

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    And really, kids under a certain age should be supervised during swimming even if they're skilled.
    Everyone should be “supervised” or have a swim buddy when swimming anywhere, anytime. No matter how good of a swimmer anyone thinks they are.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    Everyone should be “supervised” or have a swim buddy when swimming anywhere, anytime. No matter how good of a swimmer anyone thinks they are.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Yeah, you're right.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    age limit implies max age, do you mean age minimum????

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I have both a swimming pool and a grandson. Whenever he comes over for a swim, I watch him and think "is this someone who I would want to see in a tail, even for one second?" So far; Nope. Not old enough. Hes just not mature enough to use it. He could not sit still long enough to get any instructions. But, now that hes 6, hes getting close.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Unfortunately it seems that even a single incident will be enough to severely cut the freedom we enjoy to buy and use them.

When we put anyone who isn't a confident and strong swimmer in one (whatever their age), we're putting a huge risk upon not just themselves, but the entire community.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Incidents are the reason Barton Springs banned tails. And I believe one of the incidents involved a college age student. So I don’t think age is the problem so much as a lack of common sense and basic safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    It's already proven that children can be perfectly capable of swimming in a mermaid tail so I wouldn't think an age restriction was necessary. Anyone of any age or any ability imo should have a spotter just in case.

If a kid wants to swim I want to make sure they are strong enough to with with a tail by giving them a pool noodle to float on until they are confident or can stand up in the shallow end

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I don’t think there shOuld be an age minimum, I think anybody can swim in a tail as long as they and their parents use common sense, are supervised, and can pass a basic swim test

Junior Member Pod of Cali Kira Majeric's Avatar
    Add Kira Majeric on Facebook
    I ran into a lot of limit when buying my daughter's 1st tail. We was 3 years old. I purchased her FinFun for Christmas that same year. She fell in love with mermaids at 2 1/2 and was begging to be one of them. Her 3rd and 4th Birthday parties we hired mermaid to swim with her and her friends. She has swam (in her tail) with mermaids 6 times and is not even 5 years old.

That being said, she is never in the pool without an adult right there with her. She is only now out of all of her floaties, and we used the life guard approved life bests for her.

She has also been in swim lessons for almost 3 years, half of that time is private instruction by very skilled teachers. She swims faster than I do, and I am a great swimmer. She can swim 25 yards into the 12 foot end, unassisted.

So, no: I do mot think there should be an age limit. But, I do feel that extra safty is always needed. I was even told by my mermaid instructor now to swim with my legs bound without a spotter. It is not safe.

I have also been told that I am the rare parent in the way I treat mermaiding with my child.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidRaegan View Post
    Incidents are the reason Barton Springs banned tails. And I believe one of the incidents involved a college age student. So I don’t think age is the problem so much as a lack of common sense and basic safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't know there were incidents, that's a bummer. It would be a cool place to swim with a mermaid tail, shame it doesn't take much to get them banned. And you're right that the issue is more about common sense and safety than age. Especially as mermaiding becomes more well-known, you're more likely to see people who just go right into it without educating themselves.

I believe it's more up to swim level. Elizabeth Swims in a verryyy young girl who has been swimming since she was a baby, and has several mermaid tails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1qcyMdDpDw She's 7, i believe, and first swum in a tail when she was 5. I don't think every 5 year old should be swimming with a tail, but i don't think every 15 year old should be either. It just depends on your skill level.