Thread: Mer hacks

Mer hacks

So I'm a total n00b to the whole mermaiding scene but I wanted to start a thread for the best mermaiding life hacks I only have like two to contribute so i really hope some more experienced mers can share some of their mer hacks
    1. Get a waterproof case for your phone, obviously for taking underwater videos and photos but also for practice holding your breath! I was able to break my own personal record by watching "satisfying" videos while my face was underwater. Silly, but effective!
    2. Now this one might be commonly known.. im not sure.. but my monofin slips perfectly behind my backpack with support from the straps which makes it much easier to carry
    3. This isnt as much of a hack as it is just general life advice but here goes anyway... Dont be afraid to talk to people and ask questions! Ask the staff at the pool questions like "when is the pool the least busy" if youre afraid of getting in the way or not having room to swim. Email the tailmaker youre most interested in and ask questions! Ask about paint jobs and fins, or whatever youre concerned about. Ask fellow mers about their own experiences! We have a community for a reason, lets engage with each other! Just always be polite and professional and you'll be fine ♡

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Hey guys! Quick solution for you wonderful mers! If you have high arches and need the pockets larger on a Mahina Monofin....

Take any water based lubricant and a can (I used refried beans haha). Rip off your label and lube it and your foot pocket up a bit. Push the can as far as you can into the foot pocket and heat up the monofin (we put the monofin over a heating vent overnight) this will significantly reduce the pressure with high arches and will help break in the monofin without months of use.

This will not however, solve any problems with width... Sorry guys havent figured that one out yet.

And yes this really works! My husband got the largest size of mahina monofin they have and it was still too small for him so this this hack! Hope it helps someone else!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Here's some of mine!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAstra View Post
    Hey guys! Quick solution for you wonderful mers! If you have high arches and need the pockets larger on a Mahina Monofin....

Take any water based lubricant and a can (I used refried beans haha). Rip off your label and lube it and your foot pocket up a bit. Push the can as far as you can into the foot pocket and heat up the monofin (we put the monofin over a heating vent overnight) this will significantly reduce the pressure with high arches and will help break in the monofin without months of use.

This will not however, solve any problems with width... Sorry guys havent figured that one out yet.
    Ive wondered if something like that would work. My main questions were "how much heat, and for what time". Now, for width (and height, and length) how about using a shoe stretcher:

https://www.amazon.com/Eachway-Profe...+stretcher+men

Ive not bothered to try it as I had no idea on the time and temperature, and did not want to ruin the fin experimenting. Also, Ive had good luck making my own monofins.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Ive wondered if something like that would work. My main questions were "how much heat, and for what time". Now, for width (and height, and length) how about using a shoe stretcher:

https://www.amazon.com/Eachway-Profe...+stretcher+men

Ive not bothered to try it as I had no idea on the time and temperature, and did not want to ruin the fin experimenting. Also, Ive had good luck making my own monofins.
    My husband still has problems with the narrowness of the mahina so I'm sure more experimenting to come lol.

I have the same reservations about using an actual heat gun but the normal heating vent in our house seemed to be ok.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    If you do more, could you actually measure the temperature? My heater vents are all in the ceiling (house on a slab, no crawl space), and it produces a large amount of warm air, not a smaller amount of hot air (heat pump). So, I would need to build something, like a box warmed by a thermostaically controlled heat gun.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    If you do more, could you actually measure the temperature? My heater vents are all in the ceiling (house on a slab, no crawl space), and it produces a large amount of warm air, not a smaller amount of hot air (heat pump). So, I would need to build something, like a box warmed by a thermostaically controlled heat gun.
    Definitely! It was on for short increments of about 10 minutes and the heat it puts out is low only about 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of about 12 hours. If you can do a box with controlled heat I could probably increase it to maybe 100 degrees and then make sure you cool it fully (we used cold water with the cans in so it could tighten back up around the cans and hold the stretch). I would not skip this step ( as we did the first time ) because it leads to the pockets shrinking back to regular shape with only minor relief.