Thread: A Big Step: I Came Out to my Grandmother...

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

A Big Step: I Came Out to my Grandmother...

I had a phone conversation for several hours with my grandmother, who's normally overbearing and overprotective. She calls my house a lot, but I was home alone tonight. After we had talked for over an hour the conversation somehow came to the woman I've been scared of disappointing. I explained how she has expressed her standards for what my life should be like and the things she says I should or shouldn't do, saying certain things are "too feminine," or "gay." This of course has made me nervous of what she would think of merfolk ever since I discovered the community.

After I had told my grandmother about a few things I was worried about disappointing this woman with, I told her I also feared telling her about certain interests. She began to ask me what it was about these interests, and began to guess I was talking about certain insane things which I assured her I was not interested in. But in order to reassure her, I had to clarify more. She kept asking me to tell her what it was, and that she wouldn't tell anyone.

So, I eventually asked her if she remembered the Disney movie the Little Mermaid (I love this movie, and find it really nostalgic though I've been kinda harsh on it before). This was, I thought the best way to start my description. I then explained to her that actual mermaid tails had been made as a sort of toy for young kids a while back, and certain people constructed beautiful, intricate tails out of silicone and performed as merfolk in them.

My grandmother told me she thought it sounded beautiful, and not something weird at all, but actually fun and interesting. I told her more and more about MerNetwork, and even read her some of the kindest messages I've received on here. She was very supportive, and encouraged me to tell the rest of my family some time. She said that she thought my dad and sister would be very supportive. She also told me I shouldn't worry about the woman and just not tell her or involve her in my mer interests.

So, all in all, this lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. I finally came out to one of my family members, who was incredibly supportive and kind. I feel like I'm floating on air right now, and I'm so happy I finally am one step closer, and that I have MerNetwork to back me up. The friends I've made here will last forever, and I can't thank this community enough. It's been a year since I joined the community now, and it just concluded in the best way possible.

Hugs,
    Merman Jamie
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Awesome! You're well on your way
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief reading this. I’m so happy for you, and I’m glad your grandmother is so supportive!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm really happy for you!

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    She obviously loves you very much.

This is wonderful news! I'm so glad for you. It's extremely difficult and you were brave. I have one friend and my partner who knows about my interest and support me but I'm yet to tell my family, and it's terrifying especially when you're an adult and "shouldn't be interested in these things" or when you're afraid of being labeled "childish " when you're already the outsider in your family. I take my hat off to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    This is fantastic! It makes me so happy when people are able to express who they are and can be supported by their families!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

That is so amazing! I'm so happy for you!

+.*Love and Bubble Kisses*.+
    ~Mermaid Miranda
    +.*Love and Bubble Kisses*.+
    ~Mermaid Miranda

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Thanks so much everyone. Today I actually showed my grandmother several videos and photos of merfolk. She thought they were beautiful, and could totally understand why I think it's so cool. She's been suggesting to me a way to talk to a good friend of mine about it, who I know will be supportive as we nerd out a lot together over fantasy-themed stuff and I'm certain she'll think it's as cool as I do.
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Woohoo!!! I’m so happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    That's great Jamie! Sounds like things are moving in a good direction for you.