Thread: Confidance and body image

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSolstice's Avatar

Confidance and body image

Hi everyone,

So I'm just a land mermaid right now, but have been wanting to mermaid for a long time. I love the water (always have) but its been years since I've been swimming. Now that I have access to pools again I've wanted to take up at least swimming again but have suddenly discovered a body image issue.

I've got a spare 15-20lbs and am no-longer confidant in swimsuits. I'm having a hard time talking myself into picking the right suit (i've bought one, but was actually to big up 'top'). And I know that swimming=exercise=weight loss but being a naturally shy person, who hasn't done this activity in a while, i'm extremely anxious and afraid of looking stupid or not swimming correctly.

Anyone with a similar issue? Or advice?
    Last edited by MermaidSolstice; 03-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.

I feel you there. I've put on twenty pounds in the past two years due to health issues and it's depressing. I'm going to make it goal to work myself up during the summer.

I've found I feel a bit better swimming with other mers, because it seems we all have our little hangups.
    Even as it is written, "She had her dwelling in the great sea -- and was a fish therein."
    Xena: Warrior Princess
    Ep. 3.12 The Bittersuite

I am currently going through some of the same things. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness from last year, and have bad weight fluctuations and bloat from the stomach infection it gave me. I feel super overweight sometimes because my tummy is quite round compared to what it used to be. I feel bad sometimes being in a bikini and wearing my tail because of my stomach.

It does help to swim with other mermaids, but its hard when you're the only one. Sometimes swimming with one friend or relative can help, even if they don't have tails.
    Sometimes you just have to go for it. Go to the pool, and just swim and take your mind off of what's bothering you. Once that happens you don't think about it again for a while so you don't have negative thoughts when you're supposed top be having fun.
    In all honesty, people don't care about what you look like, People come in all shapes and sizes, and most don't notice.
    There's so many plus sized mermaids that their body image doesn't meet society mannequin standards, and they look graceful and so beautiful as they swim just the way they are.
    You also can't just focus on that one part of you, think positive thoughts about yourself, it can help a little if not a lot. Thinking beautiful can help you feel beautiful and more comfortable in your own skin.
    Because everyone is an amazing and beautiful mer and deserve to believe it too, just as much as you.

Sorry if that was too long and boring.

Seconded. No need to apologise for speaking your mind, Mool

You can't change the hand that genetics deal you, but you can make the most of it and work towards the best level of health (and aesthetics) that it allows you. That's the right spirit to take, rather than one of comparison to others. Glamour shots are particularly depressing, until you realise the generous use of light trickery, angles and Photoshop.

I had a horrible diet for many years, and the result has been a pot belly I utterly hate -- and it doesn't help that I'm prone to stress eating due to my caregiving. I'm relatively healthy and work out as much as I can, but my fat level really bugs me. I'm trying to flatten it before I order a silicone tail, but I wonder when that will actually happen -- though I acknowledge my loved one's health is infinitely more important.

All the best, Solstice! Don't be afraid to take swimming classes if you need to, and freediving ones if you want to get some extra underwater confidence.

That said, don't let that stop you from doing what you love.
    Last edited by Ransom; 03-16-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Thank you for all the kindness and advice everyone. I should get my suit tomorrow .

I'm afraid I can't swim with anyone because I don't have anyone to swim with. But Mool is right (and not the slightest bit boring), I just need to go for it. And I'm thankful for my online pod.

Genetics is so great, I posses strong German genes and even when fit, I feel big because I'm so bony (large framed and tall). But its who I am, so I need to get over it. Maybe I could be an Amazon warrior Mer? Or a Valkyrie Mer!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSolstice View Post
    Maybe I could be an Amazon warrior Mer? Or a Valkyrie Mer!
    I've always seen your mersona as a reflection of your ideals, and for one I'd love to see more warrior mers. When I'm ready I'd be honoured to join their number.

Fair winds and good fights, Solstice. Let us know how it goes
    Last edited by Ransom; 03-19-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Went for my first swim in at least 6 years yesterday Don't know what I was worried about, I took to the water as I always have, it was like I never stopped swimming. I also went with a co-worker who had used the pool before so I didn't feel so lost (shout out to her for tolerating my annoying self). Got a schedule planned out so I can go at least twice a week (maybe more), and can't wait to go back! The only thing I seemed to have lost was my ability to hold my breath well But my diving is still good, and i'll work on it, so yay!

Thank you so, so much for your support!
    "I must be a mermaid...I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." -Anais Nin