Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was your first mermaid/merman swim like

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    My first tail was for my Princess Aquata cosplay, which I picked up from the tailor literally minutes before I went to A-Kon, so my first swim was in the Hilton pool. With that many people the water was...gross. Never again.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

Mine was at the lake, well with the monofin. It was a busy, hot summer day and my family was there. They had all judged me for getting the Mahina but I was so excited. I got it in the mail & everyone was excited to open it up. Afterwards they were all telling me how I could get "skins" for it. xD like I know. Haha. My younger brothers were fighting to have a turn with the Mahina monofin. It was pretty great. Boosted my confidence actually

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I got my first fabric tail last summer and tried it out in my neighbors pool. At first it was a little weird, but after like 10 minutes I never wanted to take it off. I have now gotten to swim all over the place, and I honestly look like a drowning walrus when I don't have my tail on. lol.

My first tail was a FinFun Celtic green, I was 9, I think. My first swim was in the lake and the movement and everything came naturally to me. It was very fun. Eventually when I get a silicone I imagine it is harder to get on and off.

My first swim was a little over a month ago at the local swimming hall with my Finfolk Productions Glaucus Atlanticus fabric fail, and it was awesome. ^^ It took a moment to get used to the extra drag from the fluke, since my prior experiences were from monofin only, but once I got the hang of it, it was great. The water was warm and nobody really paid much attention to it. I even got some short underwater video clips. Only complaint was that the pool was just 2,5 m deep, so space was a bit of an issue, but even that wasn't impossible.

My 2nd swim was even better, since I was invited to swim in this 8 m deep pool by a scuba-diving friend who had booked it for her training. So much space!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I put on my wife's mono-fin without the tail once and rammed my head into the wall. First and only swim.
    https://merfaire.com - Mermaid podcast and Yearly Phoenix Festival

Freaking cold. It was January, I had just got my finfolk fabric and really didn't feel like waiting for warmer weather. So I took it to the neighborhood pool, was the only one there, and took it for a swim. I had a neoprene jacket on, it didn't help. I think I went back and forth across the pool twice before going home.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    My first tail was a purple mermagica tail that the guy I was dating at the time found out I had and asked why I hadn’t swam in it yet. I informed him I was afraid of being ridiculed as I was just starting out. We went to his neighborhood pool and I splashed about and i fell in love instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Kaila Mermaid~

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod mermaidsophie's Avatar
    Add mermaidsophie on Facebook
    My sister asked if I wanted to come help with an underwater photoshoot (not swimming, just helping with details and hanging out), and when I got there she was like "HEY WANNA GET IN A TAIL AND SWIM FOR PHOTOS??" and so I did. And it wasn't the worst, but I definitely did not look all that graceful in photos haha. Full silicone, had never swam in fabric either. Was a party.

In my grandparents apartment pool. In a borrowed, very old fin fun tail. I was so excited and had been watching mer YouTube videos for weeks beforehand. It was just as magical and amazing and satisfying as I’d hoped. And now I’m hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

I don’t have a tail in real life yet, so I’ve never experienced what it’s like to swim in one. However, I’ve been swimming as a mermaid for years in my dreams. In my dreams, at least, the swim is so smooth-flowing, gliding in the water like I’m an aquatic angel. Once in the water, I let go and just BE. The water is a bit cooler than the air, and it’s both calming and energizing. If a dream places me in a pool, I’ve always liked swimming at the deepest parts where my stomach is almost scraping against the pool floor. I’m a fast swimmer in my dreams. I can’t wait to have a tail in real life so that I can emulate those dreams.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I don't remember. I first tried my fin fun monofin at an indoor pool in 2014. Not sure when I used the skin w/ it? Pretty anticlimactic in the pool. The lifeguards were curious and everything went well. Later on mermaids were banned from that pool.

I remember mine like it was yesterday... because it was! My FinFun tail came the day before. I slipped it on and hopped in the pool. It was cold, but I didn't care because swimming in a mermaid tail for the first time was amazing. I thought there would be a learning curve, but swimming with the monofin just came naturally. I didn't last very long though, since the pool was so cold. I got to swim a lot more today.