Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mermaid Parties Custom Tails Review

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    I've read that, very insightful and helpful. Thank you Mermaid Sirena

I phrased it as a question because I was fishing for an answer along the lines of "Yes, we're telling everybody to get marine silicone spray", because until the reply I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, and I was concerned. Thing is though, you did mention it a while back, as I saw when I did a search when this whole debacle kicked off, and I missed it in earlier reads (In my own defense here, I was distracted by the post pointed at me with the big trollface pic, so I missed the smaller post above it with the spray), so yet again I was wrong, and I apologize. The general consensus on Yuku was that the spray needs to be periodically re-applied, though, when you notice things start sticking to the tail.

Shymer: Both of the facts were true. ALEX, left on its own with prolonged exposure to water, will break down. This shouldn't come as a surprise: It says right on the tube not to use it for below-waterline applications, so we're already using the stuff out of spec. This was a show-stopper issue in the original ALEX development thread, and Capt Nemo ended up doing controlled bench tests of cured alex in different waters (Think it was salt, fresh, chlorinated, and tap), and it was looking really bad for these tails until he figured out the spray. I think we do enough to mitigate the chemical problems with ALEX that I'm not concerned about that so much, mostly about the fact that the stuff we're making tails out of isn't strictly waterproof on its own. Capt Nemo did a lot of the early testing on ALEX tails, and had a pretty solid reputation on Yuku for being the font of all technical knowledge, so when he said repeatedly that Acrylic can shatter under bending force, I believed him, and still do, and it's not something I'd ever recommend using for a monofin. It was something I saw as a safety issue, so I mentioned it in case maybe it was news to them, because on its face acrylic would be pretty attractive to use, but maybe went about it the wrong way.

Kanti: Eric's early latex tails were ALEX as far as anybody can tell (he wouldn't confirm it then as I recall, and probably never will): they were the ones that turned white and broke down. He hasn't used it in a long time, though. You're right, we do use caulk in our homes, but for the most part, contact with it is incidental (I wear gloves when using it painting at work) The main argument made regarding skin safety of ALEX is you're going from sometimes touching some in the sink for a second, to wearing 20 tubes worth of it on the entire lower half of your body. Personally, I'm satisfied enough that the neoprene is a sufficient barrier and moving it through water leaches chemicals out of it and away, but that's the general rationale.

Alright, it's been a weird day on many counts, and getting myself into trouble like this is something I don't usually do, and I can't say I like it, so I'm going to go time out for a bit. Stephanie, I'm sorry for bringing the drama to your thread, and please let me know if there's anything I can do to help in the future (even to include 'maybe stay out of your threads for a while' :P ) Good luck with everything!
    Last edited by OrcaMatt; 04-06-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: clarify a point
    Serious Sirenetics

Thank you OrcaMatt, I really appreciate you posting this comment. Thank you for your concern for my business and the customers interested in my tails. I have decided on the Lexan Polycarbonate for the monofins and so far the mermaids and prospective mermaids agree it's a much better choice than acrylic. Once I have some monofins done I'll post some pictures. And you can comment on my streams or any streams relating to the mermaid tails all you like, I appreciate your input now that we've established you're not some jerk out to ruin my chances at selling tails sorry for being snappy, it's a girl thing I can't seem to overcome hahahaha
    Any ways, thanks to OrcaMatt and to all the mermaids for their in depth research and information sharing. I appreciate it. I've learned so much on this short journey so far and there's still a ways to go. I am so excited

That's what this community is about leaning and growth. Sometimes it doesn't always happen in the traditional lineiar way I personally can't wait to see the monofins & more of your tails.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Agreed! And you must let me know if there are any price changes, because I'm still interested in a monofin!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

I definitely will Mermaid Dottie. I'm thinking on it. I'm leaning toward $40, just to cover material cost and shipping but at the same time, for just a little more you can get a finis monofin.. I dont want to price mine too high but I dont want to sell them for less than material and shipping :/ We'll see how they turn out this weekend. I have to ship Mermaid Katey one to replace the coroplast one in hers. I will keep everyone posted. Oh! And, I will have two fabric tails posted by the end of the weekend as well

There are pictures of Mermaid Rain up swimming in her tail on the facebook, go see!! www.facebook.com/mermaidparties under the tagged photos!!

I was curious how you were able to make your tails at such a reasonable price point too. And concerned when ALEX came up b/c I too (as new as I am to the mer community) have read the thread about it. I'm glad that it (the drama) played out well enough and I think it says alot about you (both OrcaMatt and MermaidParties). I've accidently pissed some people off on some forums, and the stuff that flies back at you isn't fun, so I understanding the reactions between you two. When the $$$ comes around, I'll be very interested in checking out one of your tails...I'll just have to be sure to properly take care of it.