Thread: Mermaid Kayaking Experience- would it work?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace

Mermaid Kayaking Experience- would it work?

Has anyone thought about or seen anything like a mermaid kayaking experience? Like, you could pay to rent a kayak and paddle around a lake or other body of calm water with mermaids swimming around you?

Personally, I would want to do this maybe in Lake Tahoe, in the summer. The water is clear and calm, so you wouldn't have to worry about visibility or getting swept out. If the mers stayed in a fairly shallow area, then getting tired wouldn't be too much of an issue either. There could be a lifegaurd/spotter on the water with the mers at all times, just for safety, and the area would hopefully be enclosed by buoys. Perhaps, one could find an existing kayaking company and partner with them?

The mers could swim around the boats and maybe come up and talk to the people for fun?

There are a few issues with this idea that I was wondering if anyone knee how to address: what are the chances of people (possibly creepy drunk guys) jumping out of the boat and harassing the mermaids? Would people try to "get the mermaid's attention" by whacking them with a paddle or splashing them in the face?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Interesting idea. I'd like the experience myself, probably.

I think some spotters would help with the harassment... some eyes can be very helpful. As for people poking the mermaids (on purpose or by accident), I'm not sure... it's likely a mermaid might run into the kayak or get whacked once in a while.

I think you'd need a spare canoe manned by a staff person for the mermaids to rest on occasionally, with water bottles and other stuff aboard. Even if the mermaids don't clamber in, it would make a massive difference if they could even just hang onto the side (trust me, I know) and have a refreshing drink once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Interesting idea. I'd like the experience myself, probably.

I think some spotters would help with the harassment... some eyes can be very helpful. As for people poking the mermaids (on purpose or by accident), I'm not sure... it's likely a mermaid might run into the kayak or get whacked once in a while.

I think you'd need a spare canoe manned by a staff person for the mermaids to rest on occasionally, with water bottles and other stuff aboard. Even if the mermaids don't clamber in, it would make a massive difference if they could even just hang onto the side (trust me, I know) and have a refreshing drink once in a while.
    Definately would need a mer-break area! Honestly, I feel like that would be really exhausting, and the shifts should probably be no longer than half an hour.

Also, I've now got this hilarious image of a mermaid whacking into canoe by accident and the people on the canoe being like... "wut...?" Lol.

"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Holly View Post
    Definately would need a mer-break area! Honestly, I feel like that would be really exhausting, and the shifts should probably be no longer than half an hour.

Also, I've now got this hilarious image of a mermaid whacking into canoe by accident and the people on the canoe being like... "wut...?" Lol.
    The mermaids should be trained for the job. Would it be silicone tails, fabric tails, or both? I'm guessing business would be good if people had ''themed'' or matching silicone tails... pricey, though.

The mermaids should be trained for the job. Would it be silicone tails, fabric tails, or both? I'm guessing business would be good if people had ''themed'' or matching silicone tails.
    I think it would really depend. Honestly, everyone would prefer to have a full silicone Merbellas or Finfolk, but not everyone could afford that, especially if the business were just starting out. I think fabric would be most economic. Weeki Wachee uses fabric too, and it seems to work for them. Bonus, since since you would be looking down at the mermaid through the water, it would be harder to see if the tail was super realistic or not. As the company grew, perhaps more expensive tails could become an option.

On the other hand, you could invest in less expensive, but good quality tails right from the beginning. I'm thinking like an original Mernation Genesis, which are only about 1K or a Finfolk Mythic

I think it would really depend. Honestly, everyone would prefer to have a full silicone Merbellas or Finfolk, but not everyone could afford that, especially if the business were just starting out. I think fabric would be most economic. Weeki Wachee uses fabric too, and it seems to work for them. Bonus, since since you would be looking down at the mermaid through the water, it would be harder to see if the tail was super realistic or not. As the company grew, perhaps more expensive tails could become an option.

On the other hand, you could invest in less expensive, but good quality tails right from the beginning. I'm thinking like an original Mernation Genesis, which are only about 1K or a Finfolk Mythic
    Yes, I understand that - its a tough thing. Not everyone can afford a silicone tail... sadly.

Yes, I understand that - its a tough thing. Not everyone can afford a silicone tail... sadly.
    The tragic truth of mermaiding the modern world: not falling in love with a sailor you can't have, but falling in love with a piece of silicone you can't have...

The tragic truth of mermaiding the modern world: not falling in love with a sailor you can't have, but falling in love with a piece of silicone you can't have...
    lmao, so true.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    nice idea! Lake Tahoe is incredible, but (like most gorgeous lakes, sadly) quite cold even in summer, no?

Anyway!
    For safety reasons, I'd make it a rule that mers hold a distance to the boats/canoes and only go closer when both paddles are stashed inside.
    There definitely needs to be supervision, aka spotters/merhandlers who help the mers with their stuff/breaks, make sure no dangerous objects are brought into the boats, and of course are on their toes should something happen regardless.

The most difficult part will probably be to find a spot to do this with little or no other boat/surf/whatever traffic, and that still has a secluded cove or such out of sight for the mers to rest.

ps. I've done a few "lake mershows", and unless you plan on the customers to drag mers into their boat, let me tell you that fabric tails will be more than sufficient. Most non-mers can't tell the difference anyway
    Last edited by Echidna; 03-17-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    nice idea! Lake Tahoe is incredible, but (like most gorgeous lakes, sadly) quite cold even in summer, no?

Anyway!
    For safety reasons, I'd make it a rule that mers hold a distance to the boats/canoes and only go closer when both paddles are stashed inside.
    There definitely needs to be supervision, aka spotters/merhandlers who help the mers with their stuff/breaks, make sure no dangerous objects are brought into the boats, and of course are on their toes should something happen regardless.

The most difficult part will probably be to find a spot to do this with little or no other boat/surf/whatever traffic, and that still has a secluded cove or such out of sight for the mers to rest.

ps. I've done a few "lake mershows", and unless you plan on the customers to drag mers into their boat, let me tell you that fabric tails will be more than sufficient. Most non-mers can't tell the difference anyway
    Very true! I honestly think that finding a secluded place wouldn't be as difficult as one might think. I was in Tahoe last year during the fourth of July, one of the peak times, and had almost no trouble finding areas to swim with nearly no one around!

I was thinking also that there would be only certain "mermaid hours", like from 12 to 4 pm, that way a small team of mers could cover the whole day without over-exerting themselves.

Also, Mermaid food! One could buy a small container of biodegradable glitter (that wouldn't hurt the lake) to sprinkle in the water for the mermaids to come and 'eat'.

What you're saying about keeping a distance from the boats is definately a smart idea. Maybe the visitors could be taught that the mermaids are shy, and will only approach the boat when both paddles are put away.

(Just throwing some more ideas out there.)

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Maybe the visitors could be taught that the mermaids are shy, and will only approach the boat when both paddles are put away.
    yep, kind of like a guided mermaid tour/mer watching.
    The Tour guide would give instructions on how to not spook/attract the mers closer, maybe also tell some folk stories that match the event, or some fun and pseudo-scientific info about merfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    yep, kind of like a guided mermaid tour/mer watching.
    The Tour guide would give instructions on how to not spook/attract the mers closer, maybe also tell some folk stories that match the event, or some fun and pseudo-scientific info about merfolk.
    Ooh I like that idea!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Lake Tahoe is 65 to 75 in the summer. In the sun, it is acceptable.
    If I was in the kayak, I'd worry about whacking someone. Also, it is hard to see ANYTHING deep in the water. Too much light reflects off the surface. Even so, with rules like shipping paddles and swimming close enough, the mers could get close enough to be seen underwater.
    If I was one of the mers, I would want a haul-out area. Maybe something floating. Think of a big air mattress with several water entry ramps. The mers could pose on it, wave to the humans, or just rest and bask in the sun.

Also, you could have mer lessons, and mer swims at various times.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 03-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Lake Tahoe is 65 to 75 in the summer. In the sun, it is acceptable.
    If I was in the kayak, I'd worry about whacking someone. Also, it is hard to see ANYTHING deep in the water. Too much light reflects off the surface. Even so, with rules like shipping paddles and swimming close enough, the mers could get close enough to be seen underwater.
    If I was one of the mers, I would want a haul-out area. Maybe something floating. Think of a big air mattress with several water entry ramps. The mers could pose on it, wave to the humans, or just rest and bask in the sun.

Also, you could have mer lessons, and mer swims at various times.
    Personally, I like swimming in chilly water...

Also, I don't think the water would be too deep to see, it helps that the water in Tahoe is perfectly clear. (I was there last summer)

The floaty is a cool idea, though.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    It's not the water depth, its reflections off the top. If you are looking close to straight down, you can get sufficient contrast to see stuff against the reflection of the sky and clouds. At shallow viewing angles, the strength of the reflections increases and anything below the surface cannot be seen, even if the water is perfectly clear. That means the mers want to swim several feet below the surface and swim close to the boats, so the viewers can look down at them. As you point out, the clear water makes this quite viable.
    Brightly colored tails will help too.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!