Thread: Looking back at old family videos.

Looking back at old family videos.

I was at my grandmother's house and dusting through the VHS collection trying to find Jim Henson's Dark Crystal. I found a VHS tape from a video camera ( man I feel old knowing that...) it had my name on it so I decided to watch it, and as I kid I was obsessed with the water. One part of the video I look like I was 2 or 3 years old and waking along a concrete bridge and there was a round opening where water poured out profusivly on the side. I think it was way before my parent knew I had ADHD an diagnosis. My mom was pregnant at the time with my sister and my dad was filming me and all among the bridge there were seven hole opening with about 10 to 12 feet distance in between each hole. After every one we walked past I stopped and stared at watch each with intensity and my mother had to pull me away from watch one hahaha! To me watching it now I just smile knowing my younger self is not much different than who I am now. How about you guys? What do you think from hints from your younger past brought to who you are today?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    My mum has about a million videos of me falling into rivers, streams, lakes, etc... lmao. I was always a water baby, and if I could walk in water, I would... even if I wasn't agile enough haha.
    One time, when I was maybe nine, we went to this state park by a river. Always, mum was feeling brave, so she let us crawl around on the big rocks that stuck out of it. I noticed a crayfish, so I bent down to pick it up and slipped right in! I was (curse my luck tbh) right at the edge of the rocks, so the water was able to sweep me away in my shock. I probably traveled a hundred feet before I regained my mind and got out. I was soggy and miserable for the rest of the day... scraped up too. My mom got this all on film, of course.

Another time, I had gone outside our house during a snow-in alone. I went immediately to our little ''pond'' to see the ice. I tested it a bit before deciding, ''hey, look. An icy pond I could die in. Lets go!!'' and walking onto it. I walked around for a bit until I heard creepy noises and felt myself slipping backwards. Looking behind me, I saw the ice was breaking (it looked saggy? and water was pouring into the dent from a crack), and I tried to run. I was wearing rainboots, and kept slipping back towards the saggy ice-hole. I finally got on my hands and knees and crawled lol (my legs had got wet, and it was the coldest thing! My legs felt like they were on fire when I got out because it was so cold). It was terrifying. No film, buts its a fun story.

Another time, my cousins and I went to another state park. There was a small but deep stream there, and we decided to climb a tree that grew kinda sideways over it. My mom took out her camera to take a video of us saying hello and where we were and all that, and I slipped off into the water during it. ;w;

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    My mum has about a million videos of me falling into rivers, streams, lakes, etc... lmao. I was always a water baby, and if I could walk in water, I would... even if I wasn't agile enough haha.
    One time, when I was maybe nine, we went to this state park by a river. Always, mum was feeling brave, so she let us crawl around on the big rocks that stuck out of it. I noticed a crayfish, so I bent down to pick it up and slipped right in! I was (curse my luck tbh) right at the edge of the rocks, so the water was able to sweep me away in my shock. I probably traveled a hundred feet before I regained my mind and got out. I was soggy and miserable for the rest of the day... scraped up too. My mom got this all on film, of course.

Another time, I had gone outside our house during a snow-in alone. I went immediately to our little ''pond'' to see the ice. I tested it a bit before deciding, ''hey, look. An icy pond I could die in. Lets go!!'' and walking onto it. I walked around for a bit until I heard creepy noises and felt myself slipping backwards. Looking behind me, I saw the ice was breaking (it looked saggy? and water was pouring into the dent from a crack), and I tried to run. I was wearing rainboots, and kept slipping back towards the saggy ice-hole. I finally got on my hands and knees and crawled lol (my legs had got wet, and it was the coldest thing! My legs felt like they were on fire when I got out because it was so cold). It was terrifying. No film, buts its a fun story.

Another time, my cousins and I went to another state park. There was a small but deep stream there, and we decided to climb a tree that grew kinda sideways over it. My mom took out her camera to take a video of us saying hello and where we were and all that, and I slipped off into the water during it. ;w;
    Oh my gosh we are both water baby's!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSolstice's Avatar
    At about two or three I walked off a dock, in November, and cried (mom would say shrieked) because dad pulled me out And apparently since I could walk they had to keep a particularly good eye on me around water no matter the season because I would find a way to get in it. Mom has always called me her water baby

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Yeah, my mom always called me a water baby too. LMAO.

I don’t have videos of it, but my mom told me that whenever she took me to the neighborhood pool as a toddler, I was run away from her the moment we stepped out of the locker room and jump into the water. It was four feet deep at its shallowest and I obviously couldn’t swim at age two, so I would just be paddling wildly a foot beneath the surface with a huge grin on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    I don’t have videos of it, but my mom told me that whenever she took me to the neighborhood pool as a toddler, I was run away from her the moment we stepped out of the locker room and jump into the water. It was four feet deep at its shallowest and I obviously couldn’t swim at age two, so I would just be paddling wildly a foot beneath the surface with a huge grin on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    You were a mermaid before you knew it the water didn't call to me till I was 14.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000