Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mersona Tail 2.0

  1. #1

    Mersona Tail 2.0

    So, after I was unsatisfied with the way my spandex tail turned out, I decided to make a neoprene/latex tail. I wasn't expecting to make anything professional quality, but I at least wanted a tail that I would be proud to take to all sorts of gatherings. This took years to plan and acquire the materials for, and while the tail still looks a bit off, I like how it's turning out. I'd love to provide you all with some concept art, but I can't draw very well, it would take time before I made anything decent.

    With that in mind, I did do a bit of research before even starting the tail. I would often refer to this tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Mermaid-Tail/
    While I used the tutorial as a guideline, I also had my own ideas for extras like my side fins. I also had the good sense not to use ALEX plus, instead I used the same latex as in the tutorial.

    Enough exposition, here's the work I did so far:
    Name:  Tail_1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  204.8 KB

    The monofin inside is a finis rapid, the ridges on the monofin make the fluke look thick. However, it's the only complaint I have about the fluke sculpt. As for the scales, I decided instead of doing an entire scale sheet, I'd make individual scales and stick them on the neoprene. It's a tedious process for sure, but I'm fine with that. I've got quite the stockpile already.
    Name:  Tail_2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  178.1 KB

    Currently, the red stripe down the front of the tail is a little wonky. It was sloping off to one side, so I tried to even it out on subsequent layers. The pattern on the back of the tail looks much better. The tan colored scales are for a transition from flesh to tail. Naturally, since I'm working from the bottom up, it will be a while before I use them.

    Honestly, I was kind of nervous about doing a tailmaking thread. Naturally, it will look much nicer when it's finished.

  2. #2
    Yay, you made a thread! Like I said before, I love the colors, and the tiny fins on the side look really cool! I also really like the shape of the fluke.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  3. #3
    So far the tail is coming along nicely, I'm probably going to be spending a lot more time on the scales, so I won't update as often, but I finally have some concept art.
    Mermaid Momo had a tail template that I ended up using, the link to it is here: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...!%26%239829%3B
    With the help of photoshop, I managed to make something decent with the template.

    Name:  Tail_Normal.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  143.3 KB Name:  Tail_Blacklight.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  133.8 KB Name:  Tail_Glow.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  96.2 KB

    I'm a huge blacklight fan, so my ideal tail had to have colors that fluoresce under blacklight, and I threw in some glow accents because I thought they'd enhance the look further. The glow in the dark part definitely won't happen until the tail is fully assembled, so I have time to revise the details if I feel they don't work.
    Last edited by SeaDemonChris; 03-22-2018 at 10:27 PM.

  4. #4
    I finished with the scales! It was a long and arduous process, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

    Name:  Assembled_Tail(Small).jpg
Views: 118
Size:  125.7 KB

    Though now that it's been put together, it's still not done yet. I'm going to put a nice topcoat on to blend in the colors a little, and add the glow in the dark parts.

  5. #5
    Nice! Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again: I am in love with those fins


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Nice! Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again: I am in love with those fins


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thank you! I love those fins too. Though it was because of those fins I chose to use molded scales instead of a scale sheet. I just felt it would be easier to stick the fins directly to the neoprene and build the body around them.

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

  7. #7
    Done! Painting was a lot of work, but I like how the colors turned out. Though I could honestly get a bit better when it comes to blending.

    Name:  Tail_Front(Small).jpg
Views: 80
Size:  167.6 KBName:  Tail_Back(Small).jpg
Views: 77
Size:  155.2 KB

    I also tried giving my tail a iridescent look to it, it showed up best in some colors, mostly black and blue, and not so good in others. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out, and I learned a lot from making this tail.

    Now all I need is a tail bag....

  8. #8
    Great job! I like the spots.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Nice! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I am in love with those fins


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    I second that. Those fins are so cute

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •