Thread: How do I convince my mam that mermaid tails are safe

How do I convince my mam that mermaid tails are safe

I am 18 so my mam can’t tell me I can’t use a mermaid tail. I do now mermaid tail have some risk to them and I do now you need a good swimmer which I am. But my mam thinks there very dangerous and says nobody should use one because she read a article bashing mermaid tails. how do I convince my mam that mermaid tails are safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    show her this forum maybe?
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

You tell her there has not been one single death from using a tail and tell her that you would never swim alone in your tail.
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    if she's only against tails, start with flippers or a monofin. Once she sees you're fine with a monofin, she'll probably realize a tail is not much different and equally safe.

...and I bet the article was one of those spawned by the social media mom who posted that dumb video of her small daughter (non-swimmer) capsizing when trying to "flip" in a brandnew tail.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    I definitely second the idea of showing her how you can handle a plain monofin first, and perhaps take a look both her eon the forum and through Raina's website/youtube as she has a lot of free information and has worked on studies regarding the physics behind different tails/monofins as well. Also might I recommend pulling some articles on freedivers and the use of monofins there. Let her get comfortable with the idea of the basic tools we use as mermaids, before you try to hard sell her on the "magic" and fun of the full tail.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by seaair16 View Post
    I am 18 so my mam can’t tell me I can’t use a mermaid tail. I do now mermaid tail have some risk to them and I do now you need a good swimmer which I am. But my mam thinks there very dangerous and says nobody should use one because she read a article bashing mermaid tails. how do I convince my mam that mermaid tails are safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Raina has a ton of resources and videos promoting the safety of Mermaid Tails while discussing the real risks and how to safely approach mermaiding

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    There are a lot of videos about safe use. The FinFun monofins are designed to be really easy to take off in the water, and I bet some of the other monofins are designed with similar safety features.

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    My mum was the same but once i demonstrated how quick i could get out of a tail ( I bought a funfun as my first because of their safety policy and their quick release mechanism just kick- kick- you're out) and i stressed that we NEVER SWIM ALONE, she was fine with it.) she knows I'm a good swimmer, but the concerns were just her wanting me to be safe. ^_^.