Thread: Pattern Making Specifics, Seam Allowance?

Pattern Making Specifics, Seam Allowance?

Hi! I've finally got the money to proceed with my latex tail this summer But I have a major fear with sizing. I understand for the pattern you take the side of your leg, measure, divide by four and connect the dots basically but I was wondering what people do for a seam allowance. How big should it be and how far off the seam should you sew? Thanks!!!!

Use Sasha's How To Make a Mermaid Tail video for making a pattern. Doing measurements every 2-4 inches all the way from your belly button to ankles with major points (stomach, thighs, knees, ankles) plotted first. Not sure if that was a typo, but devide by two, not four. Standard seam allowance for sewing is 5/8ths of an inch, but for people who haven't sewn 1/2in is better. Before you sew on your machine, measure 1/2in from the needle and mark with a small strip of masking tape (or even a sharpie, it will come off with rubbing alcohol as long as you don't use a color with red in it) on the machine. When you sew keep the edge of the fabric on the mark. It will help you not only keep your seem allowance but help you sew "straight". Always use a scrap to practice with first to see how the machine will take the fabric, and how much pull you will need to guide the fabric to keep to the seam allowance.

Hope that helps! Good luck! Be sure to post- we're always excited to see others works, and help if you need it

Thanks a ton!

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Thanks for this. I was looking for some info on where to measure.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    I think she meant to divide by 4 but fold the paper in half and mark all of the measurements on one side than cut the pattern so that both sides are even.

Follow me on facebook!

Mermaid:
    Mermaid Star

Troup:
    Sea Star Studios

Performer:
    Alexie Star