Thread: Overcoming Fears?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace

Overcoming Fears?

I'm finally admitting it, I'm terrified of deep water. It's not that I'm scared of swimming, I would spend all day in the pool or ocean if I could, but there's something that gives me anxiety, even when I know there's nothing that could hurt me. I'm totally fine with swimming in a pool where I can't touch the bottom, but in the open water, if I can't touch, I freak out.

I may not be the strongest swimmer, but I am quite capable if treading water and keeping afloat, so it's not even a fear if drowning. It's something related to looking down and seeing... nothing. As one could imagine, this is incredibly frustrating for someone who loves being in the water as much as I do.

Recently, someone challenged me to a swimming race in a spring, but I had to give up as soon as it started, because I knew that once I was out in the open water, I would most likely have a panic attack. It was embarrassing to say the least, that a person wearing a mermaid tail would chicken out of a swimming race, but I simply could not do it. If we had been in a pool, I would have won or at least tried, but alas, I could not.

Does anyone have any tips for overcoming this particular fear? Any words of encouragement? Do you relate?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    this is a tricky predicament, because it's kind of irrational, as you said "even if you know there is nothing that can hurt you".

I have been afraid in the open ocean before (ok, I was alone and caught in a current...and stupidly, was still more afraid of what might be beneath me, unseen. So for me, seeing what's below already helps).

Maybe you could figure out what spawned this fear in the first place (like a traumatic childhood experience before you could swim perhaps), then work from there.
    I know of people who have successfully battled their phobias. Best of luck!

Yeah, it's totally irrational, and that's honestly what makes it the most annoying. The thing about childhood trama is also a good point, though if have to think a bit harder to try and remember what that might be. Thanks!

"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

I tackle obstacles such as fears using this method: I tell myself that I have something to prove. For example, when I’m tired and weary from backpacking, I say to myself “Everyone thinks of you as the fastest hiker. I’ve got a reputation to uphold.” So maybe you could try thinking “Swimming is my thing; I need to show the world that I’m as mermaidy as it gets.” Or maybe even “They’re judging me—I’ll show them!” And it’s not too late if everyone already knows that you’re afraid of deep, open water. Think about how impressed they’ll be when you suddenly hop in the lake one day and show them how fearless you are!
    That’s what works for me, anyway. Good luck! I hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

That's a really cool idea, thank you for sharing!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I have a tiny amount of this same issue. The fear is falling forever into someplace that does not support human life. What I have found:
    It's not enough to know the fear is irrational, you need to feel it. For example, imagine you get a facemask and snorkel. Get out into water deep enough that you cannot see the bottom, and look down. BUT, you also hold onto something that securely keeps you on the surface. A dive boat ladder, or even some pool noodles. That (hopefully) is enough for you to not panic. Now, feel that you are floating on the surface. You can feel the water moving about you, you can feel that part of your body is at the surface, and you can feel that nothing bad is happening. You can concentrate on both the scary part, and on how nothing bad is happening.
    Eventually, you can let go of the boat, or noodles, or whatever.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Wow, that's actually an amazing idea. I'll totally try that the next time I'm in a pool.

First of all, panic is very bad because you may die because if it so you may train where it is not dangerous like in pool or somewhere, where it is possible to stand in an emergency. Maybe a doctor can help to find the origin of the fear and may help you to get rid of it.

• If you have a friend who is able to dive, you can use him/her as a safety diver. It may help you mentally because you would know that there is somebody to help you in case something happens.

• Also some self rescue equipment* may help.

* I know a diver who has gas cartridge which can fill a floating device in an emergency which can be mounted on a weight belt or jacket.
    Last edited by fabianfrz; 04-08-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Hm. Maybe taking a scuba course could help. So you can actually prove to your gut feeling that what your brain is telling you, namely that there is nothing to be afraid of below, actually is true? At least it worked for my wife, she had similar fears of what could lurk below, and when she not only knew (with her brain) that there is nothing scary down there but actually saw with her own eyes and proved it to her gut, it got way better.

I would really love to take a scuba class, and I think it would help a lot, but I may have to wait until I'm a bit older.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Exposure. Work on going into the open water, even if it's only a little at a time.

Lots of teens scuba dive, and there're plenty of tryouts for them around the world. It's more of whether you can make it to one at the moment.

Best fishes! I'm sure it'll be loads easier to manage with an instructor showing you the ropes.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000