Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making my 4th fabric tail!

Red face Making my 4th fabric tail!

HEY! I am Mermaid Tatum and I am making my fourth tail today and it has honestly been a journey to get back at the tail creation point in my life. I have put it off for so long because I was scared of being judged by friends or rude family members. I am so happy that I was re-inspired to create a tail and make it my own.
    A little background information on me, I am a soon to be momma and my belly isn't showing that much sadly. So I get the chance to create a tail that will fit me throughout my pregnancy and even afterwards! In my pictures and hopefully videos on youtube I will credit all of my sources and even the places I got certain ideas from! Everyone has their own take on tail creation which is what makes it so fascinating to me. I honestly love all of the input you give others during their journeys!!!

Making my 4th fabric tail!

Name:  IMG_3108.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  8.7 KB Name:  IMG_0934.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  8.1 KB Name:  IMG_0935.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  6.9 KBName:  IMG_0937.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  7.2 KB Name:  IMG_0777.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  7.2 KB
    Some of the things I got and am currently waiting for it so come in! Also my wonderful fiancé is buying me a FINIS Luna for my birthday I love him bunches and thank all of the higher ups for giving him to me.

Sorry if they are blurry I don’t know why they are?

Are you using spandex?

Excited for this project for sure, but I wanted to pop in and say that Lumiere paint in that color didn't play nice when I put it on spandex. The blue color went straight through and just left gold glitter. Still lovely, though!

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    Are you using spandex?

Excited for this project for sure, but I wanted to pop in and say that Lumiere paint in that color didn't play nice when I put it on spandex. The blue color went straight through and just left gold glitter. Still lovely, though!

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I am actually not using a full spandex mine is a polyester spandex blend with more polyester then spandex in it and that’s kind of the go I love the gold shimmer and it’s for the scales not necessarily for the overall paint and I have used it before on a spandex tail and it worked perfectly fine showing the purple on it I don’t remember how I wanted it to the tail because it didn’t want to stick at first but I did multiple coats

I was on my fabric is white and I’m using screen printing ink to kind of do a base

If you look up Courtney mermaid on YouTube and find her how to paint a mermaid tail videos that’s where I got my inspiration

Name:  IMG_0934.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  386.9 KB Name:  mermaid tail template final.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  83.0 KB Name:  scale template six.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  24.2 KB Name:  scale template five.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  62.7 KB Name:  IMG_3107.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  299.5 KB Name:  mermaid tail template final.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  83.0 KB hope these work better Im sure they will but oh well and here is my inspiration for the tail I used a mertailor template and i used gimp to paint the tail out its supposed to be more of a navy and less of a purple as the back color with a dark line in the center where ill do a second spray over it to create a ridge line. just like some dogs when they get angry

Your flatbread sandwich is very important to me and I demand to know what's on it before this work in progress goes any further.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Your flatbread sandwich is very important to me and I demand to know what's on it before this work in progress goes any further.
    This made me laugh so hard I started crying. I get the same thing every time so it should be easy. I get a foot-long flatbread with black forest ham lettuce tomatoes pickles mustard and mayonnaise and I get it toasted before the lettuce gets put on. It’s amazing

Name:  MertailorKelp 2final.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  130.6 KB color type two i really like this one its with the kelp tail from mertailor. i think i want my fluke similar but not the same at that i want more stringy bits

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Oooh *Hangs around to see more*

i would love to see more people interested in this thread im just waiting on the remaining supplies, one thing im a little confused on how to do, is what to use for the dorsal fins and side fins.
    vinyl or something?
    or maybe scrap fabric coated in silicon caulking?
    Eventually when i get the funds my fiancee is going to help me make a full silicon tail. But thats not until i have this baby. So i settled on the fabric so i can adjust it later on.

i would love to have you hang around and if you have any ideas or input that would be awesome!

Update !!!! my mahina comes in today!!!!

Merpeople please explain to my fiancé why this is just a fluke and not a whole tail

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidTatum20 View Post
    Merpeople please explain to my fiancé why this is just a fluke and not a whole tail
    because mahina mermaid only sells monofins, and the monofin is the powerhouse behind the dolphin kick that makes up mermaiding. you need a monofin to propel you through the water in a tail, as just feet won't work.
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Fish tail. Fish tail very important. Fish tail makes you move. Without Fish tail, you sink and die.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Oh my lord my paints are almost all here I’m waiting on two more and that’s it and I have my fabric coming in on Monday and eventually I’ll start the YouTube recording process and then I’m set!