Thread: Modified fin fun with silicone (pics)

Modified fin fun with silicone (pics)

I put silicone on my fin fun. The tips were fraying and pulling and I’ve only had it only 2 weeks (I’m a beginner mermaid) so it’s been getting beat up even when I’m careful with it. I found this solution on Sun tails’ YouTube channel. I’ll update you all on how it swims tomorrow

Edit:: yes it still fits on the tailskins normally. It’s just a little more tricky to get it on but it doesn’t stretch it out any more than the original.

Update:: there was no difference in the swimming or buoyancy. You do have to take the cover off of the polypropylene insert out and dry it inside out. But other than that, its honestly good. What I would do differently next time is use a credit card or something with an edge to try and smooth it out more evenly. I do have another fin fun since I’m giving this one to my husband. I’m probably going to treat that one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Last edited by Mermaid Siryna; 04-13-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I'm not sure what I am looking at. Smooth-on silicone, painted on with a brush? Aquarium caulk? Or something else?
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I'm not sure what I am looking at. Smooth-on silicone, painted on with a brush? Aquarium caulk? Or something else?
    It’s 100% all purpose silicone in that weird gun applicator thingie. I primed a bristle brush first by letting a layer of silicone dry on it and then using that brush to smooth out the beads and evenly coat the tips. Dry time for each side front and back was 30 min each.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Update:: there was no difference in the swimming or buoyancy. You do have to take the cover off of the polypropylene insert out and dry it inside out. But other than that, its honestly good. What I would do differently next time is use a credit card or something with an edge to try and smooth it out more evenly. I do have another fin fun since I’m giving this one to my husband. I’m probably going to treat that one as well.

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app

Hey, neat solution! I noticed that you said it was only two weeks before it started fraying and that you were new, although you said you were careful no specific care steps were mentioned, so I thought I'd share some tips (mostly for other beginners): especially when you're swimming in just the monofin in a pool, try to limit contact with the bottom (sand shouldn't be too big of a problem, but still try to limit contact), as this can increase the rate of deterioration by scratching and indenting the monofin cover.

Also after chlorine swims (and saltwater) make sure to rinse the monofin soon after you get out to wash off the chlorine and saltwater, thus returning it to a "clean" state; then follow with a baking soda soak/ rinse to neutralize the effects of the chlorine, 30 minutes (soaking) is the recommended time.

Try not to put (any) weight on the monofin while it's vertical, if too much weight is put on it it will bend, and if enough pressure is exerted it will break (that's more of a general recommendation).

It could definitely be that you just got a lemon, and that no amount of proper care could've prevented the fraying; so again great solution! I also think that the lines from the brush make it more unique and interesting.

(I hope my content/ tone/ recommendations didn't come off jerky, that definitely wasn't my intent.)