Thread: Mergency!

Mergency!

Let me preface this by saying I have no sculpting, casting, tail making experience so dont be too hard on me and the sculpts lol.

I sculpted the mold for the fluke with an oil based/sulphur free clay, then I used Shell Shock fast to make the mold. I did a first layer yesterday and a layer today. I let it cure for several hours then attempted to demold. The side fins came out fine but there is an area(pictured below) on fluke that is really messed up. It looks like it never cured. Im not sure why, it was all the same product on a foam board, laying on a bare wood table. Ive clean out majority of the clay but didnt want to put anything else on it or scrub it until I found out the options. At this point Im devasted and dont know how to fix the area or even make it look better. I need to pour my silicone asap so I can use it for an event this weekend. Help me please!
    http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v...pslnosz6qk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Piorra View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I have no sculpting, casting, tail making experience so dont be too hard on me and the sculpts lol.

I sculpted the mold for the fluke with an oil based/sulphur free clay, then I used Shell Shock fast to make the mold. I did a first layer yesterday and a layer today. I let it cure for several hours then attempted to demold. The side fins came out fine but there is an area(pictured below) on fluke that is really messed up. It looks like it never cured. Im not sure why, it was all the same product on a foam board, laying on a bare wood table. Ive clean out majority of the clay but didnt want to put anything else on it or scrub it until I found out the options. At this point Im devasted and dont know how to fix the area or even make it look better. I need to pour my silicone asap so I can use it for an event this weekend. Help me please!

Hi Piorra, hope you make the event! Unfortunately your photobucket links aren't visible. Maybe make them small enough to upload directly?
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Thanks Ransom! I will try again
    Name:  20180423_235459-1-979x817.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  140.6 KB

I don't know why the patch didn't cure, but I think Shell shock is the same kind of resin as Smooth Cast. If so, you can fill in the patch with clay and try to sculpt the negative so it matches the other areas. You can also use sandpaper to smooth rough patches. I've done both these tricks to fix problem spots and they work great if you're in a pinch. Not so great as a long term fix-- eventually even oil-based clays start getting crumbly and cracked.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Something like this has happened to me twice when using Smooth Cast 300 for different reasons. The first time it happened, I forgot that the Smooth Cast is temperature sensitive and I had left it in my non heated studio during the winter. This caused the mold to take 5 days to fully cure and even then it wasn't really usable. The second instance was similar to yours where a certain part of the mold was uncured. I'm going to blame this on me not mixing my resin thoroughly enough because there was a distinct "streak" of uncured resin where the last of the pot was poured out. I'm assuming I missed stirring the resin a bit on the bottom of the pot. I let this just sit for a few days and I dabbed at it with a paper towel. It fortunately cured over time but the area was still a bit funky looking in comparison to the rest. There isn't a good way of saving this that I know of, sorry to be of little help. I don't have any good advice on how to fix it but perhaps just make double, triple sure you mix everything properly next time? That was MY personal mistake and it nearly cost me my mold.