Thread: Paints and air brush kit?

Paints and air brush kit?

Hey guys, I want to get into tail making and stuff and I’ll probably be asking a lot of questions when I get down to it. For now though, I was wondering what type of paints you used for painting silicone tails, what process you go through when painting them and what type of air brush kit you use if you use one! Please and thank you if you have any advice for me!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Most people use some sort of powdered pigment and mix it into silicone. A lot of people like the Jacquard powdered pigments

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Maris View Post
    Most people use some sort of powdered pigment and mix it into silicone. A lot of people like the Jacquard powdered pigments
    Oh! I love those pigments! And you can get a .75 oz for $6-7 at hobby lobby (USD). The .75 can color your entire tail!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid.Mikayla View Post
    Oh! I love those pigments! And you can get a .75 oz for $6-7 at hobby lobby (USD). The .75 can color your entire tail!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    The best pigment to use is the silicone pigment which comes in a cream in a tub.... you only need a small amount to mix into the silicone. you also need to add a medium to the silicone which I believe is acetone to make the colour silicone spray for your airbrush This dilutes the liquid slightly so it can pass through the airbrush.. Im not sure what the dilution amount is.... but you will need to add a certain amount of acetone to it so it dispenses through the airbrush. after using that method the paint will not budge. also, the best airbrush to use would probably be the siphon fed which is the one with the cup or bottle connected and also you want something where you can control the amount of air flow so that would be the double action or dual independent control. The single use will not allow you to control paint flow and will be heavy. You want the best products because in the long run they will last you and keep up the quality on your tail.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    also, if you want a bit of sparkle, you can add the pearlescale pigments which are very good and easy to find.... they are meant for special fx so will not cut through your silicone.

second this! I got the cheapest gravity feed airbrush I could find and it was just way too much of a pain, and kept getting clogged. You probably also want the Dragon Skin 10 SLOW for airbrushing. Smooth On sells a NOVOCS gloss thinner that is excellent for thinning its silicone, though the NOVOCS thinners from the oil paint shelf in art stores will also work (test first).
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Adrienne View Post
    You want the best products because in the long run they will last you and keep up the quality on your tail.
    I second this. I've went through TWO air compressors so far, which is an expensive loss in the end. they were those garbage Amazon hobby compressors and Unless you're only doing only 1-1.5 hours of airbrushing, they will overheat eventually and die. I since got a Dewalt 4.5 gal air compressor which is worth the spendy price tag because it WON'T die on me. I also use a high quality siphon fed Badger airbrush which is super versatile and has been my only airbrush for like 5 years. Again, worth the price tag because you just can't kill these things. Invest in and maintain your equipment. That's my two cents.