Thread: New member and artist

Add Jessica Douglas on Facebook

New member and artist

Hello everyone,

I thought I would post here first to introduce myself before I do anything else.

My name is Jessica Douglas. I'm a freelance artist who specializes in using gemstones and minerals in my paintings. I've shown in galleries and museums all over the world and have done quite a few paintings for book covers, interior art, murals, magazine illustrations and so on. I paint a wide variety of things, though a huge section of my art is devoted to aquatic life and mermaids. In fact my best friend, my daughter and myself are opening a new art gallery called Submerged Studios later this year.

I joined at the suggestion of one of the Halifax mermaids after asking her advice on where I could share my mermaid themed art and projects and she immediately said here. I'm not a professional mermaid, though I did get my daughter a tail from the 2tails for Christmas and she's loved it to pieces. She's considered being a professional mermaid unfortunately some dance injuries have made that not possible. So instead we are just sharing a love of mermaids and admiring the work of professional mermaids.

I do buy stock photographs from professional mermaids and models somewhat regularly for art reference, though since I run two businesses (my own art business and my submerged studios), I do limit myself to purchasing stock photos that have a license for these types of things. So if you do offer stock photography I would love any links to see if I haven't already purchased from you. You can never have too many reference images when you're a painter.

I'm very much looking forwards to being a member of this community and learning more about mermaids and aquatic life in general, I was pretty excited to see that there's a conservation and science section. I tend to talk a lot as this introduction pretty much shows, so please feel free to let me know if I'm rambling too much. I've read over the rules, but I have a bit of a forgetful memory so if I ever misstep please don't hesitate to give me a nudge to fix things.

Phew. That's all I can think about for now. I'm looking forwards to getting to know you guys!

Hiya! Welcome from Kitchener, Ontario! Do you have any of your art up on the web? Always love seeing new mermaid art. ^_^

Add Jessica Douglas on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by digimer View Post
    Hiya! Welcome from Kitchener, Ontario! Do you have any of your art up on the web? Always love seeing new mermaid art. ^_^
    I love Ontario! I've only been there once, but it was awesome. I do, my art is at jessicamdouglas.com I need to update it with more of my mermaid art, but this month has been two to seven paintings a day so I've gotten backlogged. This one is my most popular mermaid painting though:

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Hello and welcome!
    Follow me on INSTAGRAM @
    Creations and fun things: Ashton.Designs

TailsAndTiaras.com

Follow Sydneycl On Twitter
    Hello from GA. That's epic work you have there

A warm welcome from Maine! ❤ Sounds like you and your daughter have a wonderful relationship :") That is absolutely beautiful art. So so talented!
    𝓘 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝒆 𝓼𝒆𝓪 𝒇𝓸𝓪𝓶 𝓲𝓷 𝓶𝔂 𝓿𝒆𝓲𝓷𝓼, 𝓘 𝓾𝓷𝓭𝒆𝓻𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝒆 𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓾𝓪𝓰𝒆 𝓸𝒇 𝔀𝓪𝓿𝒆𝓼.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Hi and welcome! Gorgeous piece I'll have to look up your work!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    welcome! beautiful work. I own HFXmermaids- glad to hear one of my mers directed you here There's also a lot of great mermaid FB groups too!