Thread: Nose clips or nose plugs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Pod of The South Mermaid Kalele's Avatar

Nose clips or nose plugs?

What do you use? Based on a YouTube video from Mermaid Raina, I bought a size small sinus saver and just water tested them. I've never used nose clips or nose plugs before so I have nothing else to compare but I like them so far.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    I love the sinus saver, it’s a little more hassle that a clip over the nose clip but definitely better for perfomance and photos as it hardly shows up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Mari View Post
    I love the sinus saver, it’s a little more hassle that a clip over the nose clip but definitely better for perfomance and photos as it hardly shows up!

Thanks for answering! Do you also use the sinus saver for practice swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kalele View Post
    Thanks for answering! Do you also use the sinus saver for practice swimming?

Normally when I practise I use a snorkel mask for comfort but you totally could

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Mari View Post
    Normally when I practise I use a snorkel mask for comfort but you totally could

I have actually been using the snorkel/mask combo and just switched to the sinus savers. I just wonder if I should get nose plugs too...

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    Mari, where did you order your sinus saver from? I can't find a site that ships to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Salty View Post
    Mari, where did you order your sinus saver from? I can't find a site that ships to Australia.
    I believe Mermaid September bought mine and hers from this link https://www.amazon.com/Sinus-Saver-W...rds=sinussaver

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    Ah, you're awesome, thank you. I just went looking for a size guide and found this:

"To determine sizing, we suggest using a group of Q-Tips to measure the size (diameter) of your nostril. If you can fit 8 or more Q-Tips tips into the opening of your nostril, we suggest the larger size. For 6-7, we suggest the medium or small. For 5 and under the small or extra small. If there is any doubt, we suggest choosing the smaller size."

Which was absolutely hilarious to me! I just got a picture in my head of a whole lot of people trying to fit a bunch of cotton buds into their nostrils. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Salty View Post
    Ah, you're awesome, thank you. I just went looking for a size guide and found this:

"To determine sizing, we suggest using a group of Q-Tips to measure the size (diameter) of your nostril. If you can fit 8 or more Q-Tips tips into the opening of your nostril, we suggest the larger size. For 6-7, we suggest the medium or small. For 5 and under the small or extra small. If there is any doubt, we suggest choosing the smaller size."

Which was absolutely hilarious to me! I just got a picture in my head of a whole lot of people trying to fit a bunch of cotton buds into their nostrils. Hahaha.
    Pahaha! I know Salty, I read that on the website for a sizing guide and totally had a mental picture of sneezing out Q-Tips whilst sizing. I just guessed at my size and the small seems to work.

I use a Sinus Saver as recommended by Raina, though I dunno whether the occasional minor leakage I experience is because of the product itself or my minor nasal issues (getting a possibly deviated septum looked at soon hopefully). I often end up taking in a tiny bit of water when deeper in the pool and feeling the need to expel it blowhole style the second I surface XD not the most graceful look. But most of the time if tested first it has a good seal. It's just annoying to have to keep removing/re-inserting it when on the surface and resting because it makes it difficult to breathe otherwise and doesn't look the nicest in photos. I end up sometimes not using any plug/clip at all during shallow pool parties and just bearing it.

I'd heard once about some custom-fit nose plugs that are really good like the Tommy Nose? But Most are in America so until I find an affordable UK based maker, maybe not.

Pahaha! I know Salty, I read that on the website for a sizing guide and totally had a mental picture of sneezing out Q-Tips whilst sizing. I just guessed at my size and the small seems to work.

I... nearly did that XD
    Honestly using those stupid things caused the kind of tickling pain you get before a big sneeze and I hated it!
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSeaAlaria View Post
    I use a Sinus Saver as recommended by Raina, though I dunno whether the occasional minor leakage I experience is because of the product itself or my minor nasal issues (getting a possibly deviated septum looked at soon hopefully). I often end up taking in a tiny bit of water when deeper in the pool and feeling the need to expel it blowhole style the second I surface XD not the most graceful look. But most of the time if tested first it has a good seal. It's just annoying to have to keep removing/re-inserting it when on the surface and resting because it makes it difficult to breathe otherwise and doesn't look the nicest in photos. I end up sometimes not using any plug/clip at all during shallow pool parties and just bearing it.

I'd heard once about some custom-fit nose plugs that are really good like the Tommy Nose? But Most are in America so until I find an affordable UK based maker, maybe not.

I... nearly did that XD
    Honestly using those stupid things caused the kind of tickling pain you get before a big sneeze and I hated it!
    I have noticed minor leakage also during swimming, maybe I will try nose plugs also for practice. I'll have to look up Tommy Nose, never heard of custom nose plugs.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    What do you use?
    nose clips all the way.

1- no leakage
    2- safer (shoving up something into your nose is invasive and the membrane there is very thin)
    3- no Miss Piggy look
    4- super comfortable

my nose bridge is extra small, so wearing anything but a noseclip would produce a horrible look and experience.
    People with broad, bulbous noses might be fine with a sinus saver, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    nose clips all the way.

1- no leakage
    2- safer (shoving up something into your nose is invasive and the membrane there is very thin)
    3- no Miss Piggy look
    4- super comfortable

my nose bridge is extra small, so wearing anything but a noseclip would produce a horrible look and experience.
    People with broad, bulbous noses might be fine with a sinus saver, though.
    Thank you so much for breaking down nose clips for me! That was helpful, is there a brand you reccomend?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    That was helpful, is there a brand you reccomend?
    I find the clear plastic ones with silicone pads much more comfortable than the "pro" ones with wire for a bridge, as those have harder pads (they are more durable though, the plastic ones will break eventually when used a lot in chlorine).

Those made from clear plastic are also nearly invisible, which is nice.
    Some prefer them colorful to find them easier should they lose them in the water, but I've never lost mine in all those years

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I find the clear plastic ones with silicone pads much more comfortable than the "pro" ones with wire for a bridge, as those have harder pads (they are more durable though, the plastic ones will break eventually when used a lot in chlorine).

Those made from clear plastic are also nearly invisible, which is nice.
    Some prefer them colorful to find them easier should they lose them in the water, but I've never lost mine in all those years
    Thank you again, I ended up ordering some flesh colored nose plugs from Speedo and what a difference! Still think I'll be glad to have the sinus savers but for everday practice, nose clips. No water leak and adjustable, yays.