Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Anna Browne - "Tail Maker"

JFC Raina. I respect you and all, but why would you post something with your professional name attached to it on a forum like that in the first place?
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Yes one of another old scammers Kanti- had a bunch of proof show up there. We had issues with her here and then someone found a thread and realized she'd pulled the same scams on a bunch of other communities.
    right. apologies, i forgot not all of us were born with an ethernet connection. glad there are threads here to try and look out for the less internet literate.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    JFC Raina. I respect you and all, but why would you post something with your professional name attached to it on a forum like that in the first place?
    I just make a habit of not hiding behind anonymity. My name has always been my online handle as well, loooooooong before my career. (Hit reddit gold and the front page a few times too ) Plus my thinking at the time of posting (I mean it had a name field. lol) is that there were obviously community members in there and maybe if people found stuff they'd send it my way to add to the file. oh well. I'm not bothered/worried.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I just make a habit of not hiding behind anonymity. My name has always been my online handle as well, loooooooong before my career. (Hit reddit gold and the front page a few times too ) Plus my thinking at the time of posting (I mean it had a name field. lol) is that there were obviously community members in there and maybe if people found stuff they'd send it my way to add to the file. oh well. I'm not bothered/worried.
    I'd be careful about those places in the future. Not only can they turn on you if they decide they don't like you, but people who aren't fans of these places will wonder why you're posting on a bullying site. There really isn't anything to be gained.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    I'd be careful about those places in the future. Not only can they turn on you if they decide they don't like you, but people who aren't fans of these places will wonder why you're posting on a bullying site. There really isn't anything to be gained.
    thanks for the heads up. I admittedly knew nothing about the site. lol I was more thinking about preventing more fraud and scamming!

Oh my this whole thing was interesting! What a psycho I never thought it would be so much craziness when I got suckered into purchasing a tail before I was ready. My DIY silicone tail is almost done on a happy note (made with silicone I bought with my refund from "scam tail"

Quick update!

She shut down the Esty linked above and started another one here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FishWishCavern

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Lame. Etsy can't ban the user account so she can't make anymore shops?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    There's nothing stopping her from simply setting up another user account, unfortunately. There's a reason why scammers are so hard to put down.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

The Anna Browne cone of drama is strong. I had posted on the Mermaid Mania tail scam post having seen one of the tails she "upgraded" in person. Anna didn't like my opinion and here's how that went:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After her last comment she either blocked more our deactivated her account again. Anna sent emails to the pod admin saying that she didn't feel safe If I attend any events. I'm soft as a powder puff and twice as gentle. I never threatened Anna, and outside of meeting her once in person and the Facebook messages we didn't have any other contact. So, yeah...even if she doesn't sell you bad merch, she's still not very nice.
    Last edited by Mermaidsh; 06-08-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Image change

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaidsh View Post
    The Anna Browne cone of drama is strong. I had posted on the Mermaid Mania tail scam post having seen one of the tails she "upgraded" in person. Anna didn't like my opinion and here's how that went:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After her last comment she either blocked more our deactivated her account again. Anna sent emails to the pod admin saying that she didn't feel safe If I attend any events. I'm soft as a powder puff and twice as gentle. I never threatened Anna, and outside of meeting her once in person and the Facebook messages we didn't have any other contact. So, yeah...even if she doesn't sell you bad merch, she's still not very nice.
    First thought... Something in your formatting is breaking every other image or so, but the thread is still followable.

Second... She told me in February she was deleting Facebook and wouldn't be reachable that way, so I'm surprised she was using it in May. Makes me suspect that she knew my tail was borked back then.

Third... She's still organizing meetups? That's probably how she's soliciting commissions.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Not to be her advocate in that specific engagement but she actually does write quite well and doesn't come across as overly defensive or aggressive. Even the back and forth between the conversations it seems like she's trying to suss out whether the event she's organized is going to be an uncomfortable place for her, and for the other mermaid whom has vocalized her disagreements.

Granted both seem to want to avoid drama but I see nothing wrong with Anna being clear that one of the events is one she is not only attending but put together. It's a public event to be sure, but her work is behind setting it up and it's not something she's going to want to walk away from if another mermaid decides to come in and start policing how she engages with others, or potentially starts to spread information she feels is hurting her in any way. There's no saying the other mermaid would do that, but if Anna does solicit commissions in-person there's reason to believe the other mermaid would want to warn others.

I'm not saying the other mermaid should have to give up her plans, but if she does actually have disagreements with Anna and is engaging in spreading information warning others about her bad business practices and fraudulent behavior, going to her events is probably not the greatest use of her time. At worse it can look like passive aggressive harassment, at best just unwise albeit uninvested fraternization. Go for now, maybe talk to other mermaids and try to get an idea of communication channels and means to setup other events if need be, but I'd not go chasing Anna's tail or swim in her waters if there are going to be disagreements. To put it simply, sometimes boycotting does work.

For comparison my old work hosts public events, we left on amicable terms but I'm well aware that certain individuals there did not like me and spread rumors about me behind my back after it became common knowledge they were doing things that could get them into legal trouble. Likewise those same individuals and others make me feel uncomfortable because of that behavior, yet their events are well attended even by my friends as they are public and for members of a marginalized community for which I am a part of. Yet I abstain from going to avoid further discomfort on my part and a desire to not engage or encounter those persons. I get that by not going it looks like I'm only hurting myself, but in this case I do organize my own events and choose to support other orgs and individuals who are a bit more forthright in their practice.

For clarification, the event Anna set up was a public meet up for the entire pod, but it was not her event. She created the Facebook event, but was not the organizer or the admin. When she thought I would confront her in person, she presented me as a bully to the actual admins because I wanted to still attend an open meet up when she thought I shouldn't. I didn't go chasing Anna, we were both attending the event and until the scam tail issues, didn't have a problem with me.

I ended up not attending the event with the advice and coaching from our pods admin when they researched Anna's track record. Anna also didn't attend and said she was retiring from mermaiding for awhile because she was leaving the country.

[QUOTE] First thought... Something in your formatting is breaking every other image or so, but the thread is still followable.[/QUOTE]

Do you know how to fix images when they do that? On my end it still looks complete. I don't post to forums often. I can't even get the quote thing to work.
    Last edited by Mermaidsh; 06-08-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I think if enough people report it, she'll get an ip ban

FEW THINGS.

1) deactivating your account does mean someone who has NEVER MESSAGED YOU BEFORE can't find you to send you a message. So yes, it does deactivate your messenger.

2) The mermaid mania mods have told me anna has been using alt accounts to spy in the group and also having friends report back with screenshots (I've asked them to post here but they havent yet)

3) if Anna feels so strongly all of these screencaps and photos are slander, they lawyer up woman. Making legal threats when you actually can't, is called legally bullying, and unsurprisingly, is illegal. I'm so tired of mermaids who threaten this stuff when they're the ones actually breaking the law. she's not the first and wont be the last to try and pull this shit and get shut down.

4) Britt owes Anna nothing, she can cut and run after the crap she got.

5) wasn't this woman moving like, yesterday, to live in a monastery?

6) Anna can't stop anyone from attending a public event.

7) this woman has been caught in so many lies we do not owe her anything. You don't have to assume the best, you honestly don't This is a scammer. we've proven that time and time again. it's time for her to leave the community.

An update to my story:

Yesterday I opened a letter from the post office telling me to bring all packaging to my local post office for inspection, because Anna had filed an insurance claim with USPS (mernetwork won't let me upload the letter). The nearest post office to my house is only open Monday through Friday, so I went to the next nearest one, where the supervisor told me that 1) that damage was definitely not the post office, but 2) the claim can only be processed at the post office on the letter.

So now I have to take off work to deal with this crap.

Also, this thread is basically public, so I assumed she was reading it. I doubt she actually went to a monastery, but I kind of hope she did.

I wonder how much she insured it for. Probably 3X what it's worth
    If she gets caught doing this she could very well face jail time because insurance fraud on the post office is like a federal offense
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

what a psycho I cannot even BELIEVE this, it's like her way of punishing you for demanding a refund. I'm sorry

I understand you're all really upset with the situation and it is absolutely justified, but the use of "psycho" as an insult/derogatory term only contributes to the stigma around and the demonization of genuinely psychotic people.

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

psycho = short for psychopath not psychotic.

from dictionary:
    noun

noun: psycho; plural noun: psychos

a psychopath.

adjective
    adjective: psycho

psychopathic.

I am observing that Anna's behaviour is psychopathic which isn't to be confused with someone experience a psychotic delusion. Traditionally, psycho has always been short for psyhopathic- not short for psychotic or psychosis. I don't believe Anna is experiencing psychosis. I can't armchair diagnose anyone either, but I can draw parallels in her behavior. Which absolutely seems psychopathic in nature.

The signs and symptoms of psychopathy are identified most commonly in scientific studies by Hare's 20-item Psychopathy Checklist-Revised. This checklist identifies the following as the symptoms and signs of psychopathy:

1. Superficial charm and glibness - Evident in nearly all of her posts
    2. Inflated sense of self-worth - Often openly brags
    3. Constant need for stimulation - an example of this would be her constant interaction with the community despite "quitting it" and being banned
    4. Lying pathologically - that one is fairly obvious
    5. Conning others; being manipulative - fairly obvious
    6. Lack of remorse or guilt - again, fairly obvious
    7. Shallow emotions - seems shallow to me!
    8. Callousness; lack of empathy - clearly has no empathy for the people she scams but can fake it when need be
    9. Using others (a parasitic lifestyle) - using people in the community (a good example is her buying fancy fish designs and passing off as her own)
    10. Poor control over behavior - think that's obvious
    11. Promiscuous sexual behavior - can't comment on this other than how she tried to lure an autistic community member and then label him a mervert
    12. Behavioral problems early in life - she makes a lot of public claims about these but we can't judge
    13. Lack of realistic, long-term goals
    14. Being impulsive - I think her replies clearly demonstrate this
    15. Being irresponsible - same
    16. Blaming others and refusing to accept responsibility - obvious
    17. Having several marital relationships - n/a
    18. Delinquency when young = unknown
    19. Revocation of conditional release - puts a lot of conditions on others who try to resolve
    20. Criminal acts in several realms (criminal versatility) - scamming and fraud is criminal

To be a psychopath one only has to meet some of these, but as you can see we can demonstrate clear examples just from her interactions with the community for most. Psychopathic is a clear description of her behaviours as laid out here.

A good summary of the issues can also be found here:

https://www.healthyplace.com/persona...f-a-psychopath

• A lack of guilt – spot this symptom when a psychopath does something that hurts another and feels no remorse about it.
    • A lack of empathy and compassion – spot this psychopathic symptom when the psychopath fails to understand or identify with the pain of others.
    • Narcissism – watch for an inflated sense of self and only caring about the self (more on the narcissistic psychopath).
    • Superficial charm – look for a charming personality that always seems to say the right things but whose actions likely don't match the words.

Dishonesty – while a psychopath may try to charm his or her way out of a lie, look out for them, nonetheless.
    • Manipulativeness – this psychopathic symptom can be used in conjunction with any other to try and make the psychopath appear like other, non-psychopathic, people.
    • Reckless risk-taking – spot this symptom when the psychopath takes big risks with no regards to the consequences on himself/herself or others.

I thought by using the term it was self evident the meaning and the intent, so I apologize that it didn't come across that way and you found it to be derogatory. I will work on that. But I still believe it to be an accurate observation, especially given this latest attempt at insurance fraud that seems to be a response to being held accountable.
    Last edited by AniaR; 06-11-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: lost a whole paragrpah somehow