Thread: Finfolk vs. Swimtails and How often does Finfolk release new tails?

Finfolk vs. Swimtails and How often does Finfolk release new tails?

Hello!

I'm completely new to the MerNetwork, but I've been a mer at heart for quite a while! I'm currently looking into purchasing my first tail, and I've done a TON of research. I know that I want a higher-quality fabric tail, and I fell in love with FinFolk Production's line a while ago. I've been saving up for months, and I was heartbroken when the new line sold out so fast because I didn't have the money then. I had no idea they would go so quickly!

Now that I've saved up enough, I'm itching to get one as soon as possible. I DO love Swimtail's betta line, and I'm seriously considering it...but I'm still torn over Finfolk. If I were to wait, how often does Finfolk release more of their fabric tails? Should I just take the plunge and get the Swimtail?

If anyone has any advice on this (perhaps one is much higher quality, etc?) please let me know!

-Melanie

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    If you’re going for a big tail like that for your first one, please please please practise with just the monofin first! The tails with big fabric flukes cause a lot of drag and are very different to beginner style fabric tails
    In my opinion the FinFolk fabrics are better quality than the betta ones but I’ve heard great things from both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually work for a company that uses Suntails fabric tails to teach mermaid lessons for kids (The Mermaid Academy, Orlando FL), so I've had experience swimming in those! I really don't like the foot pocket-style monofins, I find that they create a lot of drag when swimming and the fabric stretches out around the ankles easily. That't the main reason I want to try out the fabric tails that are made for Finis or Mahina monofins.

Thanks!
    -Mel

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    Yeah I totally understand about the foot pockets I’m glad you’ve had experience!
    I’m a sucker for the Luna monofin it’s so comfy! But unfortunately not strong enough for the big tails ;-;
    I really love the FinFolk tails, I think they plan on doing one of two releases a season until they can get their permanent printers up in their warehouse

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

Hi! First of all, welcome to MerNetwork!

I agree with the above comment. FinFolk fabric tails seem to be of higher quality, but both are very good tails. I may be biased but I think FinFolk's are just that little bit better. Others may disagree and I look forward to reading their arguments.

Now, regarding the other part of your question. FinFolk doesn't currently have a schedule for their fabric tails. Eventually the plan is to have the fabric tails always available to purchase through the website any time. However this is a ways away because they are still working on the warehouse. Progress has been slow but steady, and they are currently in a temporary studio space.

There will be a second, smaller run of the current fabric designs released sometime this July (with RUMORS of the possibility of optional additional fins for an increased price ) to get rid of the remaining inventory. This release will be extremely limited in both sizes and quantity. If you plan on taking advantage of this sale I highly recommend joining the FinFolk Pod Squad on Facebook, because Pod Squad has exclusive access to the website for the first hour of the sale, and as you have seen, most designs and sizes sell out in literal minutes. A membership is only $35 USD and gives you early access to sales and presales, plus contests and giveaways not available to the general public. Just some fish food for thought

Hope this helped! Sorry it was a small novel!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You could always go for the Magictail Premium line.

https://www.magictail.net/premium_1
    Formerly known as ireneho

Swimtails Betta tails are made of thick scuba fabric, while the Finfolk tails are made of neoprene (which is a bit warmer and heavier). And the Swimtails uses the Mahina while the Finfolk uses the Finis monofin. So far I've heard pretty good things about both tails, so I don't think there'll be too much difference in terms of quality.

If you're willing to wait for July, I believe that's when Finfolk will release another batch of tails as what MeliPixie mentioned. Otherwise the Betta tails is available now. Swimtails does not keep an inventory, they take preorders so it won't come to you immediately (I just bought a Pro tail from them last week and I'm DYING - too excited for it to come!)

Ultimately it's up to you! If you're going to swim in colder waters I would recommend Finfolk because neoprene is warmer. But the design and colours are a personal preference. Either way they're both great tails!

Thank you so much everyone for the advice!! Everyone on the mernetwork is so friendly and willing to help, I'm so glad I joined

After much deliberation, I decided to go with Swimtaills Amazon Betta design! The colors and the scale pattern are gorgeous, and since I live in Florida I won't be swimming in water under 70 degrees so the material should be fine. I also like the fact that they are made for the Mahina (I've heard that the finis inside fabric slows you down quite a bit). I ordered it last night so I will be on the edge of my seat until it arrives! I'll be sure to post a video after my first swim (hopefully I won't be flopping around too much haha!)

Thanks again!
    MermaidMelanie

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMelanie View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice!! Everyone on the mernetwork is so friendly and willing to help, I'm so glad I joined

After much deliberation, I decided to go with Swimtaills Amazon Betta design! The colors and the scale pattern are gorgeous, and since I live in Florida I won't be swimming in water under 70 degrees so the material should be fine. I also like the fact that they are made for the Mahina (I've heard that the finis inside fabric slows you down quite a bit). I ordered it last night so I will be on the edge of my seat until it arrives! I'll be sure to post a video after my first swim (hopefully I won't be flopping around too much haha!)

Thanks again!
    MermaidMelanie
    I would love to hear about what you think of the betta and ordering from swimtails in general (I’m interested in the betta or Siren tails from them). I would love your thoughts on the fabric and how long the whole process takes until you get your tail. Thanks

We have both brands in fabric.

SWIMTAILS - Fast shipping, attentive customer service, good expectations management on delivery, comfortable fit and feel.... they have a bit more stretch and fit slim women with leg muscle tone better than FinFolk. Fits a Mahina monofin which is great. Not much "fin flop" from excess fabric around the monofin. Easy to get on and off without help. lack of blending in colors seems to make them look less like silicone tails for photos and more obviously "printed." General "easy care and easy fit" make them popular with mermaids who want to have a tail to play in and work on pool tricks with without having to wet and dry a full silicone tail. Easy to replace worn out tails as they don't change their lineup very much so you can buy the same look without having to re-shoot your portfolio again.

FINFOLK - They look like silicone tails, photo-wise. One of our gen 1 tails has a white zipper which stands out terribly in images and ruins the illusion. "Fin flop" occurs around where there is extra plastic coating and fabric around a Finis foil monofin which is weird looking in photos. At a distance they look very realistic, however, if you walk up to them you'll see that the side seams and prints do not match up so most mermaids keep the side view hidden when posing. Difficult to find monofins to work with the tails (Mahina, 2Tails, and FinFun monofins do not fit) without having to waste money and buy a Finis one specifically for it. Finis Wave and Rapid fins are both notoriously prone to warping and hook bar failure so the fact that the tails recommend them on some charts is a nuisance.... why build a pretty cover for a badly designed monofin? The calf measurements on the XS tail can be problematic. As an example, an athletic girl with a 24" waist might not fit the legs as they are pretty tight. In the case of too tight legs help is needed to get on. Seam issues in the "cut points" on some areas of the fluke portion resulting in broken threads after 1-2 uses needing repair. Strain around zipper area also caused a small hole to appear in only 2 wearings. Difficult to obtain and designs keep changing. As the tails wear out it's difficult to replace the tail with the same look as a result of the ever-changing Finfolk catalog which means that hundreds of dollars in photo shoots for "character photos" for clients to see what you look like in your costume can be rendered useless in 2 years or less as you simply won't be able to easily buy the same design again and will need to pay to reshoot an entirely new look.

Both are the same level of care and ease of drying. Comparable price points.
    Sheroes Entertainment LLC
    Visit us at:
    www.sheroesentertainment.com
    Follow us on Instagram at: @mermaids_sheroes_entertainment
    Like us on Facebook at:
    https://www.facebook.com/SheroesEntertainment

Hollywood's underwater stunt performance team - stunning professional mermaids and lifeguards available internationally.
    >The Home of LA Mermaid School<

Quote Originally Posted by SheroesEntertainment View Post
    We have both brands in fabric.

SWIMTAILS - Fast shipping, attentive customer service, good expectations management on delivery, comfortable fit and feel.... they have a bit more stretch and fit slim women with leg muscle tone better than FinFolk. Fits a Mahina monofin which is great. Not much "fin flop" from excess fabric around the monofin. Easy to get on and off without help. lack of blending in colors seems to make them look less like silicone tails for photos and more obviously "printed." General "easy care and easy fit" make them popular with mermaids who want to have a tail to play in and work on pool tricks with without having to wet and dry a full silicone tail. Easy to replace worn out tails as they don't change their lineup very much so you can buy the same look without having to re-shoot your portfolio again.

FINFOLK - They look like silicone tails, photo-wise. One of our gen 1 tails has a white zipper which stands out terribly in images and ruins the illusion. "Fin flop" occurs around where there is extra plastic coating and fabric around a Finis foil monofin which is weird looking in photos. At a distance they look very realistic, however, if you walk up to them you'll see that the side seams and prints do not match up so most mermaids keep the side view hidden when posing. Difficult to find monofins to work with the tails (Mahina, 2Tails, and FinFun monofins do not fit) without having to waste money and buy a Finis one specifically for it. Finis Wave and Rapid fins are both notoriously prone to warping and hook bar failure so the fact that the tails recommend them on some charts is a nuisance.... why build a pretty cover for a badly designed monofin? The calf measurements on the XS tail can be problematic. As an example, an athletic girl with a 24" waist might not fit the legs as they are pretty tight. In the case of too tight legs help is needed to get on. Seam issues in the "cut points" on some areas of the fluke portion resulting in broken threads after 1-2 uses needing repair. Strain around zipper area also caused a small hole to appear in only 2 wearings. Difficult to obtain and designs keep changing. As the tails wear out it's difficult to replace the tail with the same look as a result of the ever-changing Finfolk catalog which means that hundreds of dollars in photo shoots for "character photos" for clients to see what you look like in your costume can be rendered useless in 2 years or less as you simply won't be able to easily buy the same design again and will need to pay to reshoot an entirely new look.

Both are the same level of care and ease of drying. Comparable price points.
    This is the best breakdown of the pros and cons of both brands fabric tails that I have seen to date -thank you! I found this info incredibly useful. Thank you for taking the time and bringing up points I had not thought of.