Thread: Sensory Processing Issues

Sensory Processing Issues

edit- I've decided not to talk about my daughter in any way that she might one day feel too personal. She's still a child, but she is also an individual human being and it will one day be for her to make choices about what is online about herself. I know it's too late for most this short thread, but I'm going to remove my comments. Hopefully it will one day just archive out, and there will be little reason for anyone to care about it. I'd delete it if I could. Thanks and sorry if you were hoping to find something more here.
    Last edited by deepblue; 04-13-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Hey deeplblue.

I have these issues too and went through a similar journey. They think it's a result of being born premature on my end, and how my nervous system developed. I feel pain much worse than other people, and inappropriate amounts for what it should be. Trauma totally exacerbates the issues. So do any illnesses, injuries, and surgeries.

For me, pressure really helps. Sometimes my legs feel like they're on fire and there's nothing wrong but the nerves. SO I get Sean to sit on them or squeeze them. I have issues with hot and cold and don't always process them properly so I accidentally burn myself a lot. So I had to learn exactly what temp to have my baths etc.

I use a heavy blanket but you can get weighted ones. My sensory processing bothers me the most at night and it's overload when I try to sleep. The blanket + a white noise machine helps (but I am very picky about white noise. Some makes it better, some makes it worse) I find having the heavy blankets kinda gives the senses something to focus on and calms me down.

I wear a lot of cotton because different textures really set me off. I totally relate to the seam in the sock thing it drives me insane and always has. I go braless a lot because I cant stand the feeling across my back and shoulders.

I am even struggling right now having long hair because I find it makes my head too sensitive.

I've always found that if I can control the biggest sensation, it makes it easier to not be bothered by the small ones. If a thread in a sheet is bothering me, we switch out the sheets lol.

For me, being underwater is almost perfect. (If I do it with goggles and nose cover it's perfect at blocking out sensory overload) for whatever reason Water has always just really helped me with this. Bath, showers, swimming.

Last edited by deepblue; 04-13-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I literally have two pairs of jeans I wear and that's it and it took me years to find them. LOL I so relate. I think I like silicone tails because the pressure on my legs is so damn soothing.

I think it'll get easier as your daughter grows, and figured out her own little self regulation tricks.

This is why I hate the science of "body language" and thing it's crap. So many people in the population have some sort of chronic condition and I find we all comfort ourselves by crossing arms. And the world views that as anti-social and I hate it. I cross my arms and legs so I can focus better when someone is talking to me.

Temple Grandin made herself a squeeze machine!

My skin is super sensitive to fabrics, textures and gets really irritated easily (I often get hives all over my back if I wear polyester, the like). I definitely deal with minor problems with sensory processing, mostly to do with my skin and the way things feel on my body. Sleeves and jeans distract and make it hard for me to focus in class sometimes.

I mostly just wanted to comment to recommend the only socks I can stand are sold at Target--they're black Hanes with a pink logo and have "invisible toe seam" and cushioning on the inside. They're absolutely heaven, I couldn't find them anywhere online, but I now own about 20 pairs because I'm afraid they'll change/stop selling them one day.

Last edited by deepblue; 04-13-2019 at 04:30 AM.

So glad that you have an answer! I wish your daughter luck learning how to deal with her unique way of sensing the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    This is why I hate the science of "body language" and thing it's crap. So many people in the population have some sort of chronic condition and I find we all comfort ourselves by crossing arms. And the world views that as anti-social and I hate it. I cross my arms and legs so I can focus better when someone is talking to me.
    Yes! I got a book on body language and it got me thinking about how there are just too many variables to say "this stance means this". I certainly agree about the arms crossed thing. I get cold really easily, and I cross my arms to keep myself warm.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

^Thanks! And absolutely... body language is about as diverse as human language, it's just silly to define it down to a few basics. I do cross my arms a lot, but for me it isn't specific to 'leave me alone'- I always want people to leave me alone, no matter how I'm standing. lol If my arms are crossed, it's likely because I'm cold or tired or both.

Just going to ask one more time, since it's the weekend, and then I'll let this thread sink.
    Last edited by deepblue; 04-13-2019 at 04:34 AM.