Thread: Henna in Hair: Any bad reactions to chlorine?

Henna in Hair: Any bad reactions to chlorine?

Does anyone here dye their hair with henna and more importantly, had the henna react to chlorinated pool water? I’m thinking about trying some henna on my hair and wanted to know if others have had success or bad luck with hair coloring with henna. From what I can find online, the hair color seems to react to the chlorine only if there are mineral salts or other chemicals in the henna so if one purchases a good brand of henna with no other additives, it should be safe in the pool. Can anyone else weigh in on this?
    “The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    - Isak Dinesen

Member Pod of The South Mermaid Kalele's Avatar
    I can. I have been using red henna from Lush for years and have been in salt, fresh, and chlorine water with no color change. I'm careful to rinse or wash my hair after swimming and I'm sure that helps lol

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kalele View Post
    I can. I have been using red henna from Lush for years and have been in salt, fresh, and chlorine water with no color change. I'm careful to rinse or wash my hair after swimming and I'm sure that helps lol

Thanks for the feedback!
    - Isak Dinesen

Member Pod of The South Mermaid Kalele's Avatar
    You bet!

I have used henna for years in my hair with no ill effects in chlorine. I use BAQ Henna from Mehandi.

Just a follow up for anyone who might search for the same topic I did: I did use henna in my hair and have not had any adverse effects with the chlorine in the pool. I’m a strawberry blonde and used Rainbow brand Henna for strawberry blondes to bring out more orange in my hair. I was very pleased with the result. It’s not just henna (Lasonia Inermis) but also contains Cassia Orbovata and chamomile so it didn’t make it too dark. The downside is that it didn’t seem to last as long as the advertised 4-6 weeks, more like 3 weeks for me. I assume this is because I swim in a pool weekly and perhaps the chlorine and chlorine removal shampoo strip out the henna faster.
    - Isak Dinesen

I have the same problem only I use Mahanadi and my henna seemed to get darker

You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.