Thread: Finally making a tail - DIY Fabric with Bi-fin fluke

Junior Member Pod of Cali RaeNiks's Avatar

Finally making a tail - DIY Fabric with Bi-fin fluke

I've been lurking for a while, and wanting to make a tail for myself has kept coming to mind recently. Of course, eventually, I want to have a silicone tail but until I'm back in the shape I want to be and have the extra reserve disposable income to actually financially commit to it fabric was the best place to start. So I've seen some helpful tips and comments from other threads. I'm a cosplayer too so I frequently craft/make my own costumes. In general, the concept isn't that far removed from things I already do. If anything the sewing is far less complicated.

And as a first tail, I'm testing out utilizing bi-fins/snorkel fins. I had 3 pairs as I am living in San Diego and snorkel frequently, especially when the leopard sharks come into La Jolla. And didn't feel like doing a monofin at the moment. Eventually, I will.

One thing I don't frequently do though is painting on fabrics. I've seen some suggestions on fabrics or screenprint, even air-brush paints, but has anyone used acrylics with a fabric medium in them?
    I love Jacquard and their Pearl Ex pigments and have some of their Lumieres, but the fabric is a neon coral/pink scuba knit and they just aren't as vibrant as acrylics were.

Some of it is thinking how I want to accomplish it. Obviously, even like most monofins, my fins have toe holes. Unfortunately, they are an older and smaller pair so my toes tend to stick out. That's one of the challenges I've been working to test over. And because I'm using individual fins, I've created basically a fin sock. It is in a fluke shape similar to monofins, but has been stitched so it has pockets for each fin to keep them closer together and from slipping. It so far has given me the ability to either insert the fins from the bottom of the fin sock/sleeve or from the top. I re-enforce all of my stitching on this project like three times with different stretch based stitches and straight stitches. It has a longer ankle/lower calf sleeve to go up under the actual body of my tail and fluke, which will allow me to later have a monofin inside without having to do anything over.

So for those fledgling mers out there who can't afford to do monofins or even afford doing lexan homemade fins (lexan can get expensive depending on thickness, plus needing all the tools or space, and additional things like watersocks etc) adds up. I don't know, maybe this could be a possibility. And used fins can be found for cheap, even new snorkel sets start around $20.

Materials/Costs so far (I've got basically two in plans, one in progress as a first test run tail and one as a more finished planned one, and this is based on my height/measurements/plans)

Fabrics
    Rainbow Parrotfish Tail (planned) - so far $20
    Hot pink/coral heavyweight scuba knit 2yd. = $13 (It was on the clearance pile at Joann's Fabric, which is why I took it. It would not be my go-to colors, plus a 10% off total order coupon)
    Blue undertone white sheer iridescent fabric 2yd = $7 (Walmart, was originally going to be on my test tail)

Blue Betta inspired Tail (test tail) - total so far $26
    Med. blue lightweight scuba knit 2.75yd = $14 (Walmart)
    White sheer ruffle organza 1yd =$10 (Joann, normally $19.99yd had 50% regular priced cut fabric coupon. Originally planned for the neon one)
    Med. blue lightweight performance polyester 1yd = $2 (Walmart)

Other
    White lightweight performance polyester 1yd = $2 (Walmart)
    Pair of heavyknit leggings = $3 (Goodwill, used as a test fit or even "training" sleeve to get use to swimming with legs bound)
    Swimming Nose plug = $10 (Big 5)
    Had fins
    Tread
    additional fabric from cosplay stock
    Paints (acrylic and jacquard pigments/Lumiere paints)

Total costs so far (combined) = $61, for basically 2 fabric tails.
    Online the lowest prefabricated mermaid tail with monofin is either SunTail ($79+) or FinFun ($80+)

I've attached some photos

my Rainbow Parrotfish inspired bright as anything (Lisa Frank bright) tail design

test acrylic colors on the heavyweight scuba with the two different frill types...

First mock-up of a fin fluke sleeve, too light weight and by the end of my swim the fabric was tearing/running in areas

Mock-up in the water

mock-up test flow in water

Fin sleeve 2.0, reinforced, will go in larger pattern fluke

Blue test tail patterned and cut, partial sewn
    Last edited by RaeNiks; 06-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar
    fix images please.

Thanks for the heads up. didn't realize it was attempting to take them from my drive, should be fixed.

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar
    i like your ingenuity, for sure one of the first gates to entry in the mercommunity is basic equipment, monofins. and im sure you could better manipulate how the bifins move in the fabric by making a vinyl form or sleive to get a more uniform flow and flex to the whole fluke.

personally, i like the idea of simply using bifins, and have that whole concept taken to a different direction, bifins to make like a sea lion tail, or being able to independently control the flow/flutter of each half of the fluke.

these ideas have a lot of merit, and remain unexplored. good luck!

Thanks. And maybe version 3.0 might have a firmer top that still allows for individual flexibility and provides more unity.
    But in some of my tests with it, I can notice some of that individual fluke/fin movement. I'm not caring about the overall concerns that I've seen a lot bring up of "they wont move in sync", because its a matter of practice and you can keep movement similar. with the added flow and constraints of a tail the physics are already more inclined to move together than individually. Thats kind of the thing with mermaid lore and even with the tails, and now, is using more of the mammalian fluke dynamics than fish.

And thanks for the encouragement. I plan to water test the fin sleeve 2.0 tonight see how it does with the modifications made from the first one.

(the login timeout on the site kinda sucks, but im use to htm based forums where you remain logged in always)

Now I'm trying to decide how I want to finish the test fluke. The white frill along the outer edge will go all the way up the tail on both sides. but down at the bottom of the fluke is where I'm trying to decide what I want it to do and how I want it to be. I know the other option is to not have anything at the bottom center bits.

Thoughts?

With both options

With a lot of flowing ribbons, like jellyfish...

Following more of the design.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! This blue will blend in the water perfectly, making you look like a jellyfish mermaid.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Ooo! This blue will blend in the water perfectly, making you look like a jellyfish mermaid.
    Seconded

I realized I hadn't posted updates or progress. But my first blue test tail is complete. It worked fairly well. The plastic fin shape sleeve I had in there slipped around too much and caused drag so I pulled it out and but the regular fins work great, I also have the ability to switch in for a monofin which I've done as well. There's a hidden side zipper. And I added the scales with an acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium but on the body of the tail it seized the fabric and reduced the stretch making it harder to get into. Love the flow of the fluke and larger size, but the fringe, unfortunately, is prone to frays and rips. And after the first swim, even with heat setting the paint, a lot of the shimmer faded off and away.

Love the top. Because this was an opportunity to experiment, I used a nude cami and a nude bra base with a dollar tree plastic shell bra I picked up. Added paint and then a bunch of bubble beading and some iridescent gems. Continued the motif with a "bubble" necklace, wristlet and hair comb. Overall it was fun project and a learning experience. I also used it this last weekend and attended my very first mer-event at SoCal Tails & Scales 2018. It was nice seeing others with fabric diy tails, and of course, all the silicone/mythics/pro fabric print ones are gorgeousus. For the pink one instead of paint, even though it would be more vibrant, I've got a bunch of shells sequins coming. I'm also working on a digital dyesub print fabric one.

Also, since this was a push for 4th of July pool day with a bunch of family - my dad got a brief video of me swimming in it underwater while watching my learning to swim nephew.

Your tail looks amazing on you!
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Junior Member Euro Pod Aodhamair's Avatar
    Love what you did with the streamers on the edges of your fluke.