Thread: Hi there - finally taking the plunge

Junior Member Pod of Cali RaeNiks's Avatar

Hi there - finally taking the plunge

Hi, I'm Rae... and I'm just now deciding to join in mer-fun.

I grew up in San Diego and was introduced to pools when I was 6mo. A true water baby. The ocean feels like home and I could never live in a landlocked state, I know its a personal bias. I've always liked mermaids in the ability sense and some of the fantasy. Until Megara (from Hercules) the Little Mermaid was my go-to Disney princess and movie. My mom even made me an Arial costume when I was younger for Halloween. Every time I was in the water, pool or ocean, I'd pretend my legs magically became fins and would stay as long as I could in the water. I use to surf (need to get back into practice), swim competitively, and play water polo. Now I mostly swim recreationally or snorkel, especially when it is leopard shark season here in La Jolla. Lived in a desert area/inland so cal for a while with family and wasn't able to get to the beach or swim as often. I've been back in San Diego since 2013 thanks to school "Go Tritons!" Yes, my college mascot was the Triton/UCSD. So having Scipps close by and the shores, I'd be at the beach between classes.

I cosplay too (most frequently as Captain America) and have wanted a silicone mermaid tail for a good 5 years. Too many other "adulting" responsibilities keep me from investing, but eventually. But Ive also wanted to be back into frequent swimming and improve my fitness and embracing my inner mermaid is a great way to do so. Plus my adorable niece loves mermaids and unicorns and is getting into swimming now herself and thought it would be something fun. But with cosplay, I do charity events or hospital visits, and would love to do so as a mermaid too.

So hi. I'm also making my own diy fabric tail Finally making a tail after lurking for a while on how I wanted to do so.

Welcome, Rae! Hope you have lots of fun swimming around Mernetwork and making new friends. All the best with your tails too!

I know cosplayers and have always wanted to try my hand at assembling something I can be proud of. I like Warhammer 40k, so something from there would be just the ticket
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Welcome!

It's fun having more San Diegan mers on board

And go Tritons

Welcome from the other side (almost) of the continent! I know the struggle of "silicone, adult responsibilities... but silicone! ... but , adulting". lol