Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hiya! I'm Calypsi. I'm still working on my name, but I really like greek mythology but didn't like the o at the end of calypso. I've always loved mermaids and was going to become a marine biologist but all my family are inland ans I wanted to stay close. I recently discovered that professional mermaids were a thing and I've started designing an almost full body neoprene hybrid tail. Its gonna take some time before I can get started on it as I like to do intensive reseach first. I also need to buy a heavy duty sewing machine for the neoprene. I'm having trouble finding the thread that shows how to combine the monofin to the end of the tail once its been attached to the silicone. Can any mer point it out to me and a thread on adding drainage holes in the fluke, please? I'd greatly appreciate it. I look forward to learning from you all and seeing your tails.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Good luck on your tail! I wanted to make fuel out of all the grande in the ocean as a marine biologist when I was litt

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

So cool to become a marine biologist! Don't be afraid to chase your dream if that is what you want ^_^ As a mermaid you could always use that knowledge to help conservation and inspire little ones to love the ocean like I'm sure you do

Quote Originally Posted by Sizseal_The_Mermaid View Post
    So cool to become a marine biologist! Don't be afraid to chase your dream if that is what you want ^_^ As a mermaid you could always use that knowledge to help conservation and inspire little ones to love the ocean like I'm sure you do
    You are completely right! Thank you for the support!

One of the reasons I want to become a mermaid. So I can inspire people about Marine conservation and the Ocean health

Welcome Calypsi, all the best! Wish I could help you with the threads, hope you can find them -- or otherwise make your own with more details where you are.

Most importantly, have fun! Look forward to seeing you around.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I think Calypsi is a pretty name!

Marine biology can apply to any water systems, like rivers and lakes as well. Also, something I didn't realize until recently was that geology does a LOT with water; like water tables, aquifers and so on. Just because you are inland doesn't mean you can't also be a marine biologist. All the rain that lands on land works to find a way out to the lowlands, be it the water table, a lake or a river out to the ocean.

I'm curious what you have in mind for your tail? I am working to get into shape (mainly so my body size stops changing), then I want to have a silicone tail made that goes up and over my chest, with a low V in the back. Is that sort of what you're thinking as well? I used to do work in prosthetics and orthotics, and we had these old but super strong sewing machines that could go through anything. I think they were old Singer machines. They only did a straight stitch, but they weren't expensive (relatively). It was something like this - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Industrial-S...G/113078787597 .

Maybe you could go talk to a local professional seamstress and tell them what you want to do, and see if they have and recommendations? They would almost certainly have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by digimer View Post
    I think Calypsi is a pretty name!

Marine biology can apply to any water systems, like rivers and lakes as well. Also, something I didn't realize until recently was that geology does a LOT with water; like water tables, aquifers and so on. Just because you are inland doesn't mean you can't also be a marine biologist. All the rain that lands on land works to find a way out to the lowlands, be it the water table, a lake or a river out to the ocean.

I'm curious what you have in mind for your tail? I am working to get into shape (mainly so my body size stops changing), then I want to have a silicone tail made that goes up and over my chest, with a low V in the back. Is that sort of what you're thinking as well? I used to do work in prosthetics and orthotics, and we had these old but super strong sewing machines that could go through anything. I think they were old Singer machines. They only did a straight stitch, but they weren't expensive (relatively). It was something like this - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Industrial-S...G/113078787597 .

Maybe you could go talk to a local professional seamstress and tell them what you want to do, and see if they have and recommendations? They would almost certainly have a better idea.
    Thank you, I may look into marine biology again. I think I have an idea of how I want to try a full body suit like you described. I've got some ideas on how but it would change depending on rather or not i want it hybrid or full silicone.