Thread: Hi everybody!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel

Hi everybody!

I was a fabric tail mermaid aaaaages ago. I didn't know it was such a widespread thing at the time and gave it up after some rather brutal "teasing: from my family.

Something about it kept calling to me, so I picked it all up again. I may be a 30-something but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy things

I'm working on what will hopefully be my new silver fabric tail, inspired by some of my favorite fishes of the Gulf Coast. If the stars (and finances) ever align I want to eventually give silicone a try. I love the look of well done fabric tails, but the sculpting involved in the silicone ones speaks to my artist side.

Aside from mermaiding, I'm a leatherworker and artist, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I can incorporate both of those into my tails!
    Last edited by Mermaid_Rain; 06-24-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Hey there! I’d love to see some of your art if you’re comfortable sharing it. Are you planning on making a tailmaking thread for your fabric tail?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Absolutely! Once I wake up enough to wander downstairs I'll snap a few photos.

I'm *planning* on starting a tailmaking thread...but I'm going to be honest, sometimes I jump into the deep end of a project, power through it, and forget to take a single photo until it's finished...and it has a habit of biting me in the butt (my larp group requires full documentation of your art process for anything you submit into a contest to discourage plagarism)
    Last edited by Mermaid_Rain; 06-24-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Eeek....I tend to sell most of my paintings and don't remember to photograph them as often as I should...here's a little bit of what I have on hand, including some of my leatherworking and some snaps from my sketchbook. This stuff is kinda (a lot) on the plain side, though.

Last edited by Mermaid_Rain; 07-08-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: broken image links

Your art is breathtaking! Particularly the leather, just... wow.
    Also, you larp? That’s so neat!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

I went mermaiding for the first time a week before I turned 40. It's *never* too late to start doing what you love!

As for your family, that's a real shame. Some people have a hard time seeing others be so happy. I think it's born of jealousy... They don't follow their dreams, so instead of working to lift themselves up, they instead try to bring others down. Don't ever let anyone take you down.

Welcome back!!

Thank you <3 I'm a huge nerd and got into leather because of my larp group. I really wish it could hold up to water for mermaid applications, but I guess I'll have to save it for when I have my land legs lol.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Digimer!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You could paint up a brown tail to look like aged leather. I think that'd be pretty cool!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Good idea!

I did a dragon scale wallet once that I'd love to translate into mermaid scales...

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    that first painting had me laughing so hard

welcome rain! i love seeing leather work, it's so pretty
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Thank you <3

I thought of a way!! I can use my leather tools on clay! So when I finally start to get money for supplies I can make a silicone tail using my leather carving techniques 🤩