Thread: Why do tops always match?

Why do tops always match?

Ok, so one thing that has always confused and bugged me is why do mermaids always wear tops that match their tails. Tails are like skin, they are part of your body, so why does your shirt match? Is there a logic here that I am missing?

I wanna see your coolest tops that DON'T match your tails
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Good question...

Ariel's purple top on a green tail was quite a risky choice though, LOL. But I like it.

If I were a real mermaid, I would scavenge the sea for materials that matched my tail. I wouldn't wear a completely random top. It's like when I go shopping: I pick clothes that look good with my extremely long, natural, light blonde hair.

I personally REALLY like the look of mermaids wearing beautiful, matching tops. It looks enchanting.

But I like your question, and I would like to see pictures of mermaids who have non-matching tops.

Not only Ariel is wearing a different coloured top, but both Misty (Pokemon) and super Sonico wearing a pink top with a blue/aqua tail

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    well, at least some tops are made to look like strategically placed scales or an extension of the tail, so it's logical those would match.
    Those made from shells and seaweed can either match or not, but why would a mermaid not choose a garment that matches the rest of her appearance?
    Purely aesthetical choice.
    That said, the "real real" mermaids didn't wear tops at all xD

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    the tops that match are usually the ones made of "scales" so they are intended to look like another part of the body. If mermaids aren't mammals, they don't need nipples. and we all know how offensive people find nipples so let's no pretend people putting on mermaid costumes can easily swim around topless if they have breasts

But honestly, let people wear whatever they want for whatever reason they want

I am getting a matching scale top to make it look like a natural continuation for my tail. And it’s easier for your tail maker to make the matching top at the same time with the same color of your tail. Plus they usually give you a discount for tail and top orders together. But like many other mers I want more than one top! I’d also like the octopus top from merbellas and a sea shell top! No rule says you can only have 1!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    3 reasons.

1 - Some of my fave vintage mer art, has them scales all the way past the shoulders. So in making my matching one piece fish suits, I have attained the full bodied mermaid tail.
    2 - I rather swim than bother about adjusting my bra cup, straps etc.
    3 - its more streamlined ( great for doing zoomies) to have a one piece than a bumpy top.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 06-27-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho