Thread: Materials underwater

Materials underwater

So I have a lot of ideas for various kinds of accessories but I am nervous about what materials will hold up underwater and what wont. Has there been any products or materials that you thought would be fine but didn't work out?

I am wondering what would happen to EVA foam of various thicknesses. What about wire? Hemp and rope? What about vinal and other super synthetic fabric?

Also, semi off topic, but has anyone ever used those waterproof pens and notebooks or tried them actually fully submerged?
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You could test them out yourself. Just cut small pieces, string them up and wear it around your neck or wrist.

Wear it every swim for about 6 months. 6 months is a good time frame to test whether stuff will degrade or stay.

Testing time could be up to a year, if things still look good. That way you know for sure that when you make your products, it will last several swims instead of falling apart after one.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 06-27-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    You could test them out yourself. Just cut small pieces, string them up and wear it around your neck or wrist.

Wear it every swim for about 6 months. 6 months is a good time frame to test whether stuff will degrade or stay.

Testing time could be up to a year, if things still look good. That way you know for sure that when you make your products, it will last several swims instead of falling apart after one.
    Thats a really long time My pools are only open for about two months out of the year and I get to swim maybe 10 times in a year. I am hoping to move to a place with a pool soon so that can change but thats a long time to test things :/
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    In my experience, wire usually rusts. Vinyl is great. Synthetic fibers can be good it depends on the quality.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    For wire, stay away from iron and steel. Use stainless steel, aluminum, and copper. Even then, if its chlorinated water or sea water, rinse it off. Titanium, silver, gold, and platinum are good too, but more expensive. Of those, Titanium can be considered to never, ever rust due to either water or sea water.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Or just make one for yourself as a test product and use it whenever you can. That works too. I was under the impression that you wanted to make professional quality products, like the kind from Merbellas, Finfolk etc.
    Formerly known as ireneho