Thread: Looking For Work; Is Being a Merman in My Future?

Looking For Work; Is Being a Merman in My Future?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for work right now. Thank goodness there's this forum where people know they're not alone. I've had the fantasy of swimming in a tail, but never had the opportunity, even now having a silicone custom one. I'm in my early 40s and thought about using a persona of being a realistic dolphin merman, like something you'd find on Ripley's Believe It or Not.

How many guys do this professionally? Would I be unique and therefore use it to my benefit? As much as I'd like to do it professionally, would it detract from my screenwriting goals? Would it cost more than what I'd get out of it? Are the chances even slimmer than my other dream job: film industry - I know I'm really on an uphill battle (lol)? I do have a copy of Raina's book, "Fishy Business: How to be a Mermaid". I don't have a car, need to have a job to pay for one.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Not to burst your bubble, Dolphin Man, but as you can see, mermen are a very scarce breed even here on Mernetwork. Although your mersona as a dolphin merman is very unique, you have to think of what are the commercial applications of using that for a sustainable career. Typically, the mainstream don't even THINK about mermen. It's always mermaids. That's because there really have been no mermen in movies or tv shows and very little literature other than ancient mythology. Hopefully, that will start to change if that remake of "Splash" with Channing Tatum ever gets released. Since it will be a Hollywood movie starring a merman, it should garner a wider audience than The Mako tv shows that featured mermen and would make seeing mermen a little less unusual. Sadly, "The Shape of Water" made the merman so fishy he looked less like our classic shape and more Creature from the Black Lagoon.

That being said, kids' parties/education, Renaissance fares, Aquariums and commercial events/private parties are what Mermaids are hired for and the people that are hiring for those usually picture a lovely mermaid for their event without even thinking of using a merman unless the mermaid(s) business has presented them with that possibility. I also see that you are in NY. Now you are also limited by climate. If you're going to be hired to perform in a body of water you may have 3 good months warm enough to do so. How are you going to make a living the other 9 months with only a periodic appearance throughout the year for a dry showing or even a tank for that matter unless you are willing to travel all over the place? Now the cost to hire you REALLY shot up because you're including travel maybe even hotel expenses.

I'm reminded of that TLC(?) show a few years back that Eric Ducharme (Mertailor) filmed. He was auditioning to be a merman at an Aquarium that featured mermaids. He looked lean, attractive underwater, swam beautifully, had his own GORGEOUS silicone tail which I suspect completely upstaged all of the mermaids' tails, and was everything you would expect a merman to be. He didn't get hired. Not because he wasn't worthy but because the Aquarium wasn't "ready" to feature mermen in their shows. Eyeroll.

Not to dissuade you. Anceos swims in an aquarium in France. There's a couple mermen that perform with an Entertainment group in CA. Mermaid Melissa uses mermen occasionally as do others. I'm just saying that there's not really enough work to make it a full-time gig without something else as a supplement throughout the year. Even the girls have to hustle with constant PR and social media to keep their businesses afloat Full-time because hiring a mermaid is such a novelty. Every time I have worked in a show it has also been with a mermaid. That's what people are used to seeing.

Can you not do both while also pursuing your screenwriting goals and see which takes off?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, Dolphin Man, but as you can see, mermen are a very scarce breed even here on Mernetwork. Although your mersona as a dolphin merman is very unique, you have to think of what are the commercial applications of using that for a sustainable career. Typically, the mainstream don't even THINK about mermen. It's always mermaids. That's because there really have been no mermen in movies or tv shows and very little literature other than ancient mythology. Hopefully, that will start to change if that remake of "Splash" with Channing Tatum ever gets released. Since it will be a Hollywood movie starring a merman, it should garner a wider audience than The Mako tv shows that featured mermen and would make seeing mermen a little less unusual. Sadly, "The Shape of Water" made the merman so fishy he looked less like our classic shape and more Creature from the Black Lagoon.

That being said, kids' parties/education, Renaissance fares, Aquariums and commercial events/private parties are what Mermaids are hired for and the people that are hiring for those usually picture a lovely mermaid for their event without even thinking of using a merman unless the mermaid(s) business has presented them with that possibility. I also see that you are in NY. Now you are also limited by climate. If you're going to be hired to perform in a body of water you may have 3 good months warm enough to do so. How are you going to make a living the other 9 months with only a periodic appearance throughout the year for a dry showing or even a tank for that matter unless you are willing to travel all over the place? Now the cost to hire you REALLY shot up because you're including travel maybe even hotel expenses.

I'm reminded of that TLC(?) show a few years back that Eric Ducharme (Mertailor) filmed. He was auditioning to be a merman at an Aquarium that featured mermaids. He looked lean, attractive underwater, swam beautifully, had his own GORGEOUS silicone tail which I suspect completely upstaged all of the mermaids' tails, and was everything you would expect a merman to be. He didn't get hired. Not because he wasn't worthy but because the Aquarium wasn't "ready" to feature mermen in their shows. Eyeroll.

Not to dissuade you. Anceos swims in an aquarium in France. There's a couple mermen that perform with an Entertainment group in CA. Mermaid Melissa uses mermen occasionally as do others. I'm just saying that there's not really enough work to make it a full-time gig without something else as a supplement throughout the year. Even the girls have to hustle with constant PR and social media to keep their businesses afloat Full-time because hiring a mermaid is such a novelty. Every time I have worked in a show it has also been with a mermaid. That's what people are used to seeing.

Can you not do both while also pursuing your screenwriting goals and see which takes off?
    There was a merman movie by Disney
    It's called " The Thirteenth Year" look it up it's a great movie!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Thank you, Keiris. I can see the same issues you're talking about. And being in upstate New York it might be even worse, there being fewer opportunities, fewer gatherings.

Most people work a day job to sustain themselves, then do what they love as a side hustle. I don't think the perception of us mer-blokes is going to change much, so the best bet is to partner with mermaids who're willing to take you on. If there aren't any where you are, it might be difficult.

Screenwriting and your day job need to pay the bills first, then try entering the waters when you're better settled. Either way, I'd suggest at least temporarily going where the mers are, so to speak.

All the best!
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Sadly, "The Shape of Water" made the merman so fishy he looked less like our classic shape and more Creature from the Black Lagoon.
    well, in most folklore around the world this IS what mermen (or male water fairies) looked like.
    From celtic merrows and germanic nöck to slavic vodyanoy and far eastern kappa, the male waterfolk was universally described as hideous, often malicious or classified outright as demons, which might explain the female's penchant to look for human lovers

IF a male pendant existed at all. Many cultures have all-female mermaids, Vily, Rusalki or sirens are just a few examples.

The hunky, mediterranean Triton merman is pretty much the sole exception.
    So guys, be grateful for the ancient Greeks, otherwise you might have to spend your entire tailtime behind a full latex monster mask xD

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    That's why I said "classic shape" as in Classical Greek/Roman mythology. I don't think Dolphin Man is going to get any more gigs going out with a face like the Creature From the Black Lagoon. It's going to be hard enough as it is. Lol

You wouldn't happen to be the same dolphin man who ordered the merrowfins dolphin tail with the 2 slits in it would you?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I agree with whomever mentioned finding a mermaid partner. I would absolutely love to work with a merman and I don't think I'm alone in that. Everythong is always more fun with friends and If you could find a few good and close friends who also mermaid for money, you could really make a splash as a group.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc