Thread: A mertop question

Question A mertop question

Has anyone used plastic bags, or plastic bottles as mertops? I have a lot of friends and family who get as many plastic bags as they can, but never do anything with them. I'm thinking of asking them for all of their plastic bags, and turning them into a mertop. Using the plarn technic and crocheting it into a halter top. I'm also thinking of asking for all of their plastic straws for accessories, because I've convinced a few to give up the straw. There isn't really a recycling center for plastic nearby. Any tips, safety concerns, or anything I'm over looking would be nice to know. Thanks.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    That sounds like a great idea for a scavenger mermaid. You can even use it as a way to introduce kids to conservation!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I'd be careful though. If kids think scavenger mers are real, they might add to the plastic problem instead
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

A friend of mine actually made a wedding dress and a wig it off plastic grocery bags as her college graduation protect.

Totally not a helpful comment but I brag about her when I can.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Any suggestions on how to keep them from adding to the problem?

If kids ask, just explain that you used these foreign materials as a way to help clean up your precious home. You could even make up a story about how you rescued a poor sea critter who was trapped in a bag and you saved him and now you always pick up these materials and keep them close to you so they won't hurt anyone else.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I know the caps from plastic bottles can definitely have uses as armor (huge studs, etc.), accessories (glued to a trident, etc.) and jewelry (fill it with pearls, sand, clay sea creatures).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea~Phoenix Savannah View Post
    I know the caps from plastic bottles can definitely have uses as armor (huge studs, etc.), accessories (glued to a trident, etc.) and jewelry (fill it with pearls, sand, clay sea creatures).
    Unfortunatly I have to stay away from the glue options currently. Do you use resin for the jewelry?

Gotcha. I don't currently, but know plenty of people who do. I plan on starting very soon.