Thread: Tattooing tails

Question Tattooing tails

This thread is mostly just late-night musing and I have no intentions of trying it anytime soon, if ever. lol

So a long time ago I noticed a dollmaker who made tattooed ball-jointed dolls by tattooing the clay before firing it. I got curious and wondered if silicone can be tattooed in a similar way, and found this video after a quick search.

So from the looks of it, it seems you can use a tattoo gun on silicone. Makes me wonder if anyone would consider tattooing their tails. (Obviously not while it's still curing.)

P.S. If you do own a tattoo gun, I 100% do NOT recommend using it on yourself or others unless you are a licensed artist with a parlor that is up to sanitation code.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

That's a very interesting post, and theory. I can think of arguments for both sides. I did recently see a photo of a mer with a beautiful tail that included a tribal style tattoo (though I believe it was airbrushed on top in silicone) by the hip. I can't find it right now, but it was very striking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea~Phoenix Savannah View Post
    That's a very interesting post, and theory. I can think of arguments for both sides. I did recently see a photo of a mer with a beautiful tail that included a tribal style tattoo (though I believe it was airbrushed on top in silicone) by the hip. I can't find it right now, but it was very striking.
    Pretty sure you're talking about Mermaid Celeste. I've seen her tail too.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Pretty sure you're talking about Mermaid Celeste. I've seen her tail too.
    oooo
    do you have any pics of her tail?

Member Euro Pod
    here is a pic I found!
    https://goo.gl/images/bhGdni

BlueCorvidae & Ocean: Yep, that's the one! Her tail is so cool.

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    If you were to do this you would need another layer of silicone over the top to prevent leaching/degradation due to water (as the act of tattooing will make lots of holes in the silicone and the ink could be washed out if its not going to stain itself into the silicone- which could lead to bleeding lines an blurry images) also to keep the silicone strong as the holes made by the tattoo gun could potentially make the silicone weaker and prone to stretch-splitting

(I have a fascination with SFX, one day hope to work with silicone XD)