Thread: Scuba diving and stress relief

Scuba diving and stress relief

I heard a family friend telling a story about his favorite relaxation especially when he is stressed. According to him, its a good form of relaxation. What are the other health benefits that we can get from this kind of sport? Perhaps, I can suggest this to my brother who needs a stress relief. Will it really help him?

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Everett View Post
    I heard a family friend telling a story about his favorite relaxation especially when he is stressed. According to him, its a good form of relaxation. What are the other health benefits that we can get from this kind of sport? Perhaps, I can suggest this to my brother who needs a stress relief. Will it really help him?
    It depends, if he feels comfortably in the water and actually can relax while being submerged, then yes, it will help him getting stress relief. You are down in the water, floating, and your breathing is quite audible to you. You get focussed on yourself, sooner or later. I realized this when I got suggestions for stress relief using breathing techniques and noted that it is exactly what I do when scuba diving. Breathing slow, deeply and focussed. And furthermore, you get out into nature and literally leave the world behind for quite a while.

On the other hand, if he doesn't feel so comfortable in the water, it can have quite the opposite effect, adding stress when there is already too much. Best way to find out if it suits him would be a scuba discovery offered by most diving schools. Then he can see if he likes it or not (makes a nice birthday present, too ).

As for other health benefits, that is no scientific study, but if you dive, especially when it is a little chilly, you burn an awful lot of calories without noticing. From my own experience, after a quite chilly dive you really, really long for an unhealthy, fat and carb saturated fastfood meal, and not the small one, believe me. And you really need those calories.

So as a conclusion, if he likes water, it will probably help him. Best way to find out is to give it a try.

Hi, thanks! What you've shared sounds indeed helpful. You're right! The best way is to give it a try. Some close friends suggested me to let him go with the scuba diving first then go also with counseling if my brother is willing. Would you think that will be beneficial also?

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Hi, thanks! What you've shared sounds indeed helpful. You're right! The best way is to give it a try. Some close friends suggested me to let him go with the scuba diving first then go also with counseling if my brother is willing. Would you think that will be beneficial also?
    I'm not an professional counselor, but that sounds good to me. A good counselor helps a lot, even having someone to talk to who just listens, you can literally talk your problems away and address what is bothering you. And a professional counselor is trained to ask the right questions, so that you soon get to the base of what is causing the stress. But as you already said, your brother must want to do it himself, or else it feels that it is something put upon him from the outside against his will, and that makes everything much more complicated.

Yeah, why not give it a try. Only pick the best counselor or therapist for your brother.

Thanks to all your concern and responses about my brother's situation. I am thinking about the process if my brother will be willing to undergo therapy. Maybe I'll talk to him about it later.

I've heard that diving helps relieve stress, but I honestly haven't tried it. I've had a fear of the deep since I was a kid and I don't even know what causes it. I turned to Phobias - Calmerry for help. It turns out that I have Batophobia and we're trying to figure out what causes it. I may well have been scared by someone in the water and I was stressed.
    Last edited by RobertWalker; 01-30-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Ohh, I know what can make you calm. A 2017 study in the Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry tested the anxiety levels of 57 men in a simulated public speaking test. Some received a placebo while others received either 150 milligrams, 300 milligrams or 600 milligrams of CBD before their speeches.

I know what you mean, I was going through a lot of stress, but I was rescued by a friend who couldn't watch me suffer. He advised me Blessed CBD Capsules on the website https://blessedcbd.co.uk/cbd-capsules/ that could help me. They had a relaxing effect, all the aches and pains in my body disappeared, and my nervous system became much better. Now I almost don't feel stressed.

Honestly speaking, I know very well what it is to work a lot because I have a dream to earn millions, but once my health became much worse. Therefore, I started to consume one product that helped me. So try this full spectrum cbd oil with thc too and I think everything will become better.