Thread: Swimming at beaches?

Swimming at beaches?

Hullo! I live by Lake Erie and was wondering a couple of things about swimming and beaches.

A.) Does anyone know if the state beaches allow monofins or not? I am at the Headlands Beach right now (mile long beach means people are spread out more lol)and it just mentions no flotation devices (which I stupidly have always though included life jackets because they float). There are no life guards to ask.

B.) I just swam for about 22 minutes, most of the time either barely touching the bottom, treading the water, or moving. It was without my fin, since I don't have a friend with me, but there were a lot of people around that it was safe. It was so much fun just going under the water and looking around there. Wearing noseplugs and goggles made the experience so much more fun than it normally is, because who wants to drink Lake Erie water lol. So, my question for this part is, where would that hypothetically put me on the swimming scale? If I had a friend with me I would have definitely pushed it more, but safety first. I am guessing that I myself am closer to 'okay' on the spectrum than poor. I was surprised that that much time had gone by, but I had turned my fitbit on right before I had gotten into the water. (It said 26 minutes, but there was time spent figuring out the goggles and noseplugs.)

Is there anything I should work on to become a better swimmer? My work schedule might not allow me to take lessons, depending on how busy this upcoming busy season is going to be.

Thank you guys! Here, have a picture of how much of a tease this view is when my fin is literally sitting in my bag next to me.

(Also if anyone is in my area, I have taken to keeping my fin in my car at all times. I've only swam in it once and the bug is strong. XD)

Name:  line_1530820922451.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  146.7 KBName:  JPEG_20180705_160521.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  172.2 KB

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I looked up ohio park laws. I found this:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501%3A46-7

The only mention of fins is you MUST use them if you are snorkeling or SCUBA diving. But you can only do those activities in designated areas.

As far as swimming better: Practice.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    I'm so jealous! Our beach is on the Gulf of Mexico, which is super muddy and murky over here. I'd kill for a beautiful lake beach!

Definitely take a buddy and practice close to shore before you even think about going deeper! And since it's summer, don't forget to hydrate! You'd be surprised at how quickly you can dehydrate while swimming.