Thread: Fantasea or Mahina?

Fantasea or Mahina?

I’m a new mer who has one Suntails tail and I want the new Betta Tail from SwimTails. It recommends a Mahina, but I’ve heard so much about how they give you blisters. How big is the Fantasea and would it hold up in the Betta Tail, since it sounds really good?? If not, what monofins work best for them?

I can't say from first hand because I don't have a Betta tail, but I would think the biggest issue with the Fantasea vs Mahina is the Mahina is stiffer. The Fantasea has a lot of flop to it, so you may not see the full effects of the wide tail on the betta.

Mahina. All the way.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Makes sense. And with such a big fluke, I probably need something more stiff.

Thank you, guys! Super helpful! I’m going to start saving for the Betta, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Siren Sappho View Post
    Thank you, guys! Super helpful! I’m going to start saving for the Betta, then!
    So exciting! The Betta is really cool. I have a Mahina and it does give me blisters, especially when I swim for an hour. What I do is wear either normal socks or neoprene socks. Doesn't look so pretty but at least it's covered by the tailskin.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Personally I find the mahina deathly uncomfortable. It doesn't seem like foot pockets but rather flat across the tops of your feet. I love my fantasea because it's literally the MOST comfortable monofin I have EVER worn. lol

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    yea, the Mahina is one of those fins which resemble a torture device xD
    however, it has great propulsion.
    So it comes down to whether you prefer comfort or speed.

Yeah, I just wanted to avoid having to wear socks with it, but I’ll do what I must.

Also, are they around the same size? If the fantasea is smaller, I’m not sure it’ll be able to support the Betta fluke.

they are pretty much the same size the mahina is just a little bit bigger though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN1pZ93q1KQ
    at 11:21 you can see the comparison
    the fantasea monofin is extremely floppy, i don't think it can support the betta fluke

I have a Mahina and generally swim with it weekly. It has great propulsion and speed. I wear a women’s size 7 in shoes and bought the Small Mahina. It was a little lose and did give me blisters right under my ankles the first time I swam in it. I now wear neoprene socks with it (not a big deal since I have to wear neoprene booties with my scuba fins too) and have not had any more problems with blisters. I have not had the chance to try out the Fantasea so I cannot speak to comfort or effectiveness of it but I have also heard that it’s good to have a stiffer fin in the Betta Tails due to the largeness of the fluke so the Mahina might be your best choice.
    “The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    - Isak Dinesen