Thread: Mermaid friendly public swimming pools in Australia

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+

Mermaid friendly public swimming pools in Australia

Is there a list that's being added to? I have some new information to add to it if there is fresh as of today.

anyone know if Sydney Olympic Park allows mermaid tails?

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Well I can't help you there but over here in Perth The City of Stirling Leisure Centres have just written me a letter saying if mers are over 12, do a swim test, sign an indemnity form, have a spotter and book a lane I can swim in any of their pools, Scarborough Beach Pool, Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre Inglewood and Leisurepark Balga. Which is a good sight better than being turned away!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Ah! I found the thread I saw ages ago! https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...with-tail-bans

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSolstice's Avatar
    Does anyone know if YMCAs allow tails in their pools?
    "I must be a mermaid...I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." -Anais Nin

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mermaid Amber- View Post
    anyone know if Sydney Olympic Park allows mermaid tails?
    Yes, they do. I'll be moving house in a few weeks, so that'll be my new water home!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Yes, they do. I'll be moving house in a few weeks, so that'll be my new water home!
    ooo I take swim lessons there never brought my monofin tho

Add Kwilena on Google+
    For Perth mers here are the T&C for the quite mer-friendly Beatty Park Leisure Centre. I've not swum there since the 70's so I've not seen its you beaut rebuild, but Nyola and I plan to visit there with our tails before the cold stops driving everyone away.

In the interests of being helpful, here's a link to some photos I tool of their T&C https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDKLmsKRx1MVqNVW6
    Last edited by Kwilena; 09-17-2018 at 12:59 AM.

All of the pools and beaches in Townsville, QLD allow tails

Add Kwilena on Google+
    An update on the Stirling Leisure Centres monofin and mermaiding policy

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons 12 years and older

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are to be used in conjunction with a facility booking for groups of 5 users or more.

o Groups of less than 5 may contact the facility and request to utilise available space without an existing booking. Space will be allocated at the discretion of the Duty Officer on the day, dependent of other facility bookings.

o Individuals or small groups (less than 5 people) may pay single entry and not pay for a facility booking.

o Prior to the commencement of the first booking all mermaid tail and mono fins users will be required to sign a liability release form. The form must be completed irrespective of whether an area for exclusive use is booked.

o Mermaid tail and mono fin users will be required to perform a competency assessment consisting of a 50m swim to be witnessed and signed off by a Duty Officer or Lifeguard.

o All users must sign in at reception and notify the Duty Officer upon each arrival to a City Aquatic Facility.

o All bookings/users must be accompanied at all times by a non-swimming adult (spotter/observer). The Spotter/Observer must be a competent swimmer and dressed appropriately to enter the water

o It is a requirement of all spotters to be on the pool deck, not in the water and at a distance where they are able to assist if required. The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 18 years and over is 1:10.

o The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 12 to 18 years is 1:5

o It is deemed appropriate for two individuals to ‘buddy up’ and spot each other (one in the water and one on pool deck)

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons under the age of 12

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are not permitted for use at the City’s Aquatic Facilities by persons under the age of 12.

Breaches

o If a breach of this practice occurs the individual(s) will be requested to immediately cease.

o If an individual(s) fails to comply they may be asked to leave the facility.

o Management will review serious or repeated breaches as required and reserve the right to cancel booking(s) and/or refuse entry to the facility.

o Breath holding and free diving techniques are not endorsed
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania
    Golden square pool in Bendigo, Victoria allows mermaid tails as off 31/12/2022

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Hunter View Post
    Golden square pool in Bendigo, Victoria allows mermaid tails as off 31/12/2022
    Awesome, thank you!
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!