Thread: Monofin for the fabric tails?

Monofin for the fabric tails?

Hey, fishies! I just ordered a finfolk productions fabric tail! *cant tell if I’m mostly excited or mostly guilty for spending that much money*
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with mahina merfins in the fabric tails. I know on the website it says it’s not recommended but I don’t know if that’s because mahina doesn’t want to their monofins in tails or because it’s actually not a good combination...or both.

Most people who use the Mahina in their fabric tail tend to experience stress or tearing in the zipper by the ankle, due to the thickness of the monofin at that point. Also, the shape of that fin has such a dramatic curve and flair that it doesnt fit in all the flukes. I think the only success so far has been in the Sea Nymph fluke (which is on the Mandarin Goby, Madison, and other similarly-shaped flukes in case you were wondering) because of the shape, and even then was with reinforcing the zipper area after a few uses due to stress.

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: Congratulations on the purchase though! If you already have a Mahina I would say go for it, and if you're not confident in the fit, then get a relatively cheap Finis Foil just for use in the tail. And if you don't have the mahina already, spring for a Shooter, it's your best bet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeliPixie; 07-29-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

I bought one with the lotus fluke, aqua fairy, so I guess that’s a hard no then? It sucks because I can’t really find any monofins in my area. But I was going to order from overseas though is it worth spending double the price on the shooter or the foil?

Where are you located? I believe the Mahina ships out of Australia, if that makes a difference.

I’m in Australia haha but I already have the mahina, I’m just wondering if I need to buy a new monofin like the ones recommended

Well then! Haha since you have one, I like I said you should go ahead and give it a try. If it seems like it's not going to work, only then consider getting something else to use with your tail. That way you're not wasting your money on a fin that you mat not need

Update from a Pod Squad member!

i've been trying to find a finis foil too
    i've found one on ebay selling for about $70 with shipping but they don't have small or medium

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    So I just got mine and let me say, if you are tall, go for the smallest monofin you can like the foil.

I have a rapid and my tail is too short because the rapid is so big it takes up the whole fluke and some of the ankle area. I actually had to remove the straps to get the ankle area zipper closed. I can tell a smaller monofin would go further into the fluke and give me those precious inches of butt-covering waist line lol

What about a magic tails monofin? Would that work?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    nope

I use the foil in my fabric tail too. The propulsion is okay, and my tail goes up to my ribs sometimes.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Junior Member Pod of The South Nixie Noele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidGleam View Post
    What about a magic tails monofin? Would that work?
    Hi!
    I just got the Aqua Fairy tail! I use a Mermaid Linden monofin in it. Fits perfectly, and gives good power.

Cheers,
    Noele

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I have loved the stars too fondly,
    To be fearful of the Night.

I use a competitor in mine, swims beautifully!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Update: it's a long story but I didn't end up getting the aqua fairy but now got the ship wreck siren. I trimmed the tips and it fits in my tail, gives good propulsion too 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    I use a competitor in mine, swims beautifully!

About to buy one of the current fabric tails, but I tried on a Shooter & wasn't happy with the fit. Curious which fabric tail (ie fluke shape) you managed to get the competitor monofin into?
    (also, if it's not asking too much, are you able to post a photo of the competitor on top of the fluke so I can see the relative sizes, thanks )

http://imgur.com/CfiWakC

I have an XXL Sapphire Siren and a medium Competitor, I did cut it down and it's a bit of a wrestling match to get in and out but I love it!

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper