Thread: Some sort of backup swimming aid

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar

Some sort of backup swimming aid

Hi all!

A little time ago I came across a kind of swimming aid, which is somehow a kind of inflatable pool noodle. After reading of Merman Storm's mishap, maybe it is time for sharing it. It is called Restube and is basically a long sausage-like inflatable tube, infltated by a manually activated CO2 cratridge. When inflated it looks like a surface marker buoy scuba divers use and gives (according to the manufacturer) 7kg additional buoyancy. When stored it is worn on a belt around the hip, and one of the packages can even be mounted along the long axis of the body on the small of one's back: https://www.restube.com/

It is not a drown-proof lifevest and is not auto-activated, but I guess small enough that it can be worn even over a tail and would give some additional buoyancy when needed so at least some critical situations can be defused. I personally have no experiences with it yet, but it sounds interesting enough that I will get one in the near future and keep you informed.

So, just a quick update. Had a chance today to test it in the pool with my fabric tail on. While swimming the whole system was barely noticeable, the small pouch rested on my spine and did not hinder my movement im any way, even with the bigher hip movements of a dolphin kick. Pulled the trigger at 3,4m depth (max. depth of the pool), and it inflated like a charm and was quieter than first thought. Instead of an expected bang it was only a hiss. After release the buoy pulled me right up to the surface without any swimming stroke necessary.
    At the surface the tether was long enough to either grab the buoy and use it as a float while resting or waiting to get picked up, or to pull it while swimming like a lifeguard buoy.
    The buoyancy was surprisingly high, enough to keep my head and even a part of my upper body easily out of the water. Diving with the buoy deployed was close to impossible, even at full thrust with my monofin I barely managed to pull it below the suface.

All in all I would call this first test a success, at least in the controlled environment of a pool. Sadly open-water season here is nearly over, so an open-water test will probably be next year or so. Furthermore the tests were only with a fabric tail, so further trials with neoprene or silicone tails will be necessary (but difficult, since I don't have access to any of those).

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

which one did you get? they have several choices

Quote Originally Posted by Mermoviemedic View Post
    which one did you get? they have several choices
    I got the "swim" version, as it is the smallest and lightest package and therefore supposedly the best to conceal when mermaiding. But i was really torn between the "swim" and the "classic".

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Did you ever get a chance to try it in open water? I am torn between the swim and the sport.

Not yet, I'll try it this year, when the weather permits.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app