Thread: Help me fix my tail!

Mansfield Center, Connecticut, United States
    Add mijomuffins on Facebook

Help me fix my tail!

So, long story, I bought a second hand tail off the internet and got myself entirely screwed. The measurements were completly wrong (wayyyyyy tinier than I am) and the tail showed up ripped and paint chipping off.
    I need to add a good amount to it if I want this thing to fit me. The thought was, to add silicone panels that we mold to the sides, and add fins to hide our probably messy seams. Would the tail be okay if we added 3-6" panels on the sides? It's THAT small.
    As for a paint job, I figured I could do something fancy, and we picked up some pigments and silicone paints and glue to fix the other stuff.

The other thought, was if ANY of you are local-ish to the New England area and can fix tails, I would drive it to you in desperate tears and with handfuls of ill-gotten cash. (possible covered in glitter). So, let me know PLEASE.

If not, I am hoping my ideas will work. We have done silicone and latex work in the past, and I am a talented painter and usually paint our odd props we have built. (my favorite being a giant resin pineapple). I am just concerned it will strain the tail, or we will destroy it by trying to make it better.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Post some photos so silicone tail wearers can help.
    Formerly known as ireneho

So the tail is riddled with rips like this. My bigger concern is if I can make the darn thing fit me. I can put one thigh in and it barely has room for another leg!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Wow! That looks really bad! Have you thought of asking a professional tail maker like Mernation or some other, to repair your tail? Not saying that you can't fix it yourself, but its an option in case fixing it proves too much to handle.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Heya

it sucks your tail is not fitting you how you would like.

I have had a problem with a to small tail before. the first tail I ever made I played the cut twice measure once game and ended up with an ankle witdth that would not have fit even one leg. oops.

I did fix it and here is how.

if you have scale sheet to add in the pannels like you are thinking that is a good way to go about it.

first you will want to cut your tail where you want to add your darts
    what you want to do is clean the tail really well. 99% Alcohal then let it evaporate. Acetone then let it evaporate and then I like to go for a bit of 99% alcohol again just for safety.
    To connect pieces together you will want to more or less fold your tail inside out and get some power mesh ( also known as bridal mesh, the fabric store should know what you are talking about if you ask for the skin coloured fabric from figrue skating costumes, it is a 4 way stretch mesh that will add strength to your patch)
    cut your mesh so it covers the whole piece you are adding in and the edges arround it.
    Then you get some sil poxy or another acetoxy cure silicone adhesive and saturate that power mesh over the back of the patch. make sure you also fill the sides.
    once you have all the pieces in you can flip it over and you can blend the seams using the sil poxy and a gloved finger covered in some kind of mold release

Then paint again with silpoxy so you get good adhesion.

I hope that helps you