Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I NEED MONEY! HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Majeric View Post
    Bottom line is if you can not babysit then you should not be in a pool with little guppies. Too many things can go wrong. The youngest I would have allowed in the pool with my daughter would have been 18 and only because I knew his swimming skills.

Under the table jobs as a performer is too risky and that is on land. You add water and you raise the stakes by a monumental degree. At that point you are putting children's lives at risk, including your own.

My recommendation is to save and plan to buy the tail when you are 18. As well as look for local Mers to swim with. My daughter does events in her tail all of the time. All unpaid and all for fun. But, she is learning a lot.

Also, do you have a Mer Handler?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I have a mertender and the only reason I don’t babysit is that I don’t like kids unless I’m a mermaid.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    If you don't like kids you really don't have any business working with them. As a birthday party entertainer let me tell you. If you don't already enjoy them you are wasting your time and the clients time. The kids can tell and parties are difficult. The parents will not be policing their children. You will often have rude and misbehaving kids that push every button you never knew you had and if you already have that unpleasant feeling about young guppies you won't get very far.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    If you don't like kids you really don't have any business working with them. As a birthday party entertainer let me tell you. If you don't already enjoy them you are wasting your time and the clients time. The kids can tell and parties are difficult. The parents will not be policing their children. You will often have rude and misbehaving kids that push every button you never knew you had and if you already have that unpleasant feeling about young guppies you won't get very far.
    Actually I love kids, my dad doesn’t trust me though because I don’t take my ADHD meds unless I’m working or at school so it makes me bad at executive functions and really hyper. He let me start this year.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMaggs View Post
    I have a mertender and the only reason I don’t babysit is that I don’t like kids unless I’m a mermaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMaggs View Post
    Actually I love kids, my dad doesn’t trust me though because I don’t take my ADHD meds unless I’m working or at school so it makes me bad at executive functions and really hyper. He let me start this year.
    Maybe I misunderstood you posts then, but they do seem to contradict.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Kira Majeric View Post
    They do ship fast and they are beautiful tails. I am actually looking at one for myself. But, I would not buy one for my daughter even if she was a teenager. Too much to spend for a tail that will not last my Little Mermaid a few years. The supplies for the method I am using is not 2000$

Why not offer swim lessons? Although you would have to be a little older and take the needed safty classes.

Or make things to sell. Either way, it will be slow going.

I actually have been do mermaid swim classes for a few months. My mom (my mertender) helped me watch them. (I used my fabric finfun tail and magictail)

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood you posts then, but they do seem to contradict.
    It’s not kids I don’t like, I don’t want kids, and I don’t like babies.

Junior Member Pod of Cali Kira Majeric's Avatar
    Add Kira Majeric on Facebook
    Bottom line: you are not old enough to be swimming with kids and if you do not like them, you really should not be swimming with them. A child's party is not a place to show off a tail and make a few bucks. It is a magical time to for a small child to see this creature that they have read about.

Beside that. If anything happens you will make a group of children scared of Mermaids. Or worse! You will make the parents hate them.

If you do not have the means to make the money for the tail and no one trusts you to babysit, then you are not ready to be a professional mermaid.

You have so many telling you to wait, and I suggest you listen. That way you will have time to fully prepare yourself and you will be able to have contracts with clients.

Oh, and a few month of swim lessons is not enough time to swim with a silicone tail. They are so much different than a fabric tail.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    Many hired performers also create contracts between themselves and whomever is hiring them. This ensures payment and standards are met and a legal framework if they are not. As you are underage and below the legal work age, I don't think you can even sign one of these but even if you could, you would be placing all legal responsibility on your parents which, as everyone else has said, is quite a lot.
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    she IS a kid. Nothing wrong with the ambition to become a mermaid, but everything in good time...

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    she IS a kid. Nothing wrong with the ambition to become a mermaid, but everything in good time...
    What's great is the amount of time she has to save up money/train/get used to dealing with kids/etc. It will be different for her to start mermaiding than it was for us She's got the blueprints at her fingertips, now she just has to be patient, which is hard as hell.

KT, you're actually like the Little Mermaid, you have to wait until you're of age to visit the surface!

Junior Member Pod of Cali Kira Majeric's Avatar
    Add Kira Majeric on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I agree with this. Being a young mermaid is a wonderful thing. My Little Mermaid is 5 years old and has been a mermaid for 2 of those 5 years. This is also why I am making her a tail but only for land use, only.

Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    What's great is the amount of time she has to save up money/train/get used to dealing with kids/etc. It will be different for her to start mermaiding than it was for us She's got the blueprints at her fingertips, now she just has to be patient, which is hard as hell.

KT, you're actually like the Little Mermaid, you have to wait until you're of age to visit the surface!
    Yeah I know how hard it is to be patient. I have ADHD so I can’t wait for crap. I either can’t focus or I can’t not focus. It’s confusing. And I want to get as much practice as I can before I’m 16 and ten I’ll start. I might also go to places with New England mermaids as an apprentice. Taking your advice in I realized I’m not old enough to do this yet. I am getting the tail though.