Thread: Swimming with Flippers

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar

Swimming with Flippers

I posted earlier that the one indoor pool around me doesn't allow monofins but they do allow diving flippers. I saw youtube videos of people using diving flippers for mermaid training but I've only swum with them once for snorkeling, so any tips?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I first learned how to dolphin kick with regular bi-fins. At the time I did not even know about the dolphin kick. I was out snorkeling, and someone went by doing it. I copied him, and thus learned how to do it. Its the same motion as with a mono-fin.

The dolphin kick is actually a poor way to get around when snorkeling. The head bobbing increases the chance water will get into the snorkel. But its great when you dive.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Because I've never bought bi fins, any recommendations or things I should look for when I buy some?

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    Because I've never bought bi fins, any recommendations or things I should look for when I buy some?

It depends on why you're buying them, and your current ability. What will you be using them for?

Swim training fins are short and stubby to activate the right muscles on the surface for flutter or dolphin kick, while scuba fins are designed for comfort over long periods underwater.

Freediving fins are the longest and offer maximum propulsion per stroke -- though you tire faster.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post

i use these ones for swim training
    https://www.eyeline.com.au/Shop/Search.aspx?cid=351
    i find them more comfortable than fins that have straps around the ankles

I had no idea there were so many types

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    You can dolphinkick with any flipper (or no fins at all).
    If you use them without a tail, you will likely be faster than with a monofin and much more agile too.

Don't worry too much, just get a pair that fits your budget which isn't too long, as that will hamper your swimming, especially if the pool is relatively shallow.
    Maybe try a shorter pair made of rubber or silicone first (like zoomers), those don't break easily, and if you accidentally hit someone, there will be no serious injuries.

Be careful with flippers because some get really tight around your feet near the toes.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Flippers are easy enough to find at dive shops, so I might recommend calling and asking around to see if they have any! It's great to try on stuff for your feet and feel for comfort when possible. My sister has a pair designed for bodyboarding (I think?) that I use sometimes, they're too small for me, but they're flippin' zippy holy crap! Honestly I think I'm faster in them dolphin kick than I am in a monofin. I also like the freedom to kick how I like if my body tires too, bifins definitely have benefits!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    Honestly I think I'm faster in them dolphin kick than I am in a monofin.
    I did a timed test with various monofins versus 2 cheap pairs of bifins, and the bifins were faster!
    Not to mention most are much more comfy than monofins, lighter too, so you don't tire as quickly.

The equation is a bit different once a tail is added, but if it's fin only, bifins are so much better in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I did a timed test with various monofins versus 2 cheap pairs of bifins, and the bifins were faster!
    Not to mention most are much more comfy than monofins, lighter too, so you don't tire as quickly.

The equation is a bit different once a tail is added, but if it's fin only, bifins are so much better in most cases.
    I totally believe it! It's so zippy, today I was surprised--I always feel so fast in a monofin but jeeze. My bifins are also so small, yet stiff, it's crazy how much they give. They'd be comfier if they weren't too small for me though, haha! Were the bifins the long flexible ones for scuba/snorkel?

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    So bi fins basically work the same as a monofin in terms flexibility and propulsion
    The stiffer the fin, the more work it takes to push with it, but you get more propulsion.

If you’re not sure about how you’ll like them, I’d say to try going with a pair that are shorter, with a medium amount of flex. Also, how old the person using the fins is affects how well they can use certain types. For instance, for kids, i would usually not advise a stiff fin because they’re generally not able to exert enough force to get adequate propulsion. Similarly, for an adult, I would never usually recommend a very flexible fin because they’ll exert too much force for the fin and generally flounder about.

Notes: I’m the fin person at a dive shop

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    Were the bifins the long flexible ones for scuba/snorkel?
    yeah, two run-off-the-mill, rather cheap pairs for snorkelling, medium stiff, I think.

I was surprisingly fast as well with a short pair made of rubber I had found in the cellar.
    It was a sad day when the foot pocket of those broke, but they were well over 30 years old, a venerable relic from bygone times

I personally prefer monofins over bi-fins because I feel the propulsion is greater and I move smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

So do I just get what's cheapest or ask an actual person at the store to help me out? Also, can I just pop into Dicks Sporting Goods and get some?

Your needs are the most important. Generally you get what you pay for, so price shouldn't be your deciding factor.

Rather, understand your goals and make sure what you're getting is suitable and comfortable
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Like I said, I'm brand new to this so I'm not quite sure what my goals are. I just know that I want to keep up mermaiding in a pool that doesn't allow monofins so I don't lose the progress I made. I'm not really going for speed or length of time. Just some flippers to substitute my monofin until Summer comes back and the pool that does allow monofins opens back up. Sorry if I'm being a bit unclear or confused by all this. I've never done anything like this before.

If you don't know what exactly you'd look for, I would suggest medium lenghth at medium stiffness. Long freediving fins are hard to carry because of the length and harder fins are usually a bad idea for beginners. I would recommend pool fins (not those which require diving boots). In short, don't buy the cheapest but more or less standard fins (usually used for snorkeling) which fits your feet best (you may try on some at a local dive store).

Ok I'll give that a try