Thread: Do I need swim lessons?

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar

Do I need swim lessons?

I've never been the strongest swimmer. I can swim enough to keep afloat, tread water for over a minute, and I'm not too good at the crawl. With my mermaid tail, I feel like a stronger swimmer and I'm able to go longer without gasping and holding onto the edge.

But I know it's just a boost on my pretty pathetic swimming, so should I consider swim lessons?

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    From your description, you swim about as well as I do. I get along just fine, so more lessons are not required.
    So, its a matter of desire, not necessity. If you want to be a better swimmer, go for it.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    I've never been the strongest swimmer. I can swim enough to keep afloat, tread water for over a minute, and I'm not too good at the crawl. With my mermaid tail, I feel like a stronger swimmer and I'm able to go longer without gasping and holding onto the edge.

But I know it's just a boost on my pretty pathetic swimming, so should I consider swim lessons?

Maybe try taking lessons. I am at swim team level swimming because my summer camp has pretty intense swimming lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    From your description, you swim about as well as I do. I get along just fine, so more lessons are not required.
    So, its a matter of desire, not necessity. If you want to be a better swimmer, go for it.
    Yeah I'm more asking if I need them. I want to avoid if I can

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    what are your goals?
    want to do something professionally in the water? Do challenging open water swims?
    train a group?
    If you feel you need to be a better swimmer, then take lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    sums it up perfectly.
    If you just want to tailswim and you feel ok doing that already, then you don't need swimming lessons.

Thing is now that I know about this whole world, I might one day. Along with my future librarian career once I get my masters, it'd be nice to have a job where I could be a mermaid. Still, might be further in the future when I know more about this stuff XD

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    The more confident you are in the water the more fun you can have.

Whether that means more practise, swimmng lessoms or going to a mermaid academy class or combinations thereof is up to you. It's such fun!

I've been a swim instructor for 20 years... If you feel like you need them then try it. But swimming with your fin is not the same as swimming without one. Even though I am a very strong swimmer using my fin was a challenge initially.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Thing is now that I know about this whole world, I might one day. Along with my future librarian career once I get my masters, it'd be nice to have a job where I could be a mermaid. Still, might be further in the future when I know more about this stuff XD

I am a teacher and I would also love a job where I could be a mermaid. Most places seem to want a body type that I don't have though.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterGirl9981 View Post
    I am a teacher and I would also love a job where I could be a mermaid. Most places seem to want a body type that I don't have though.

My folks are teachers so when I say this is mean it: thank you for everything you do and good luck this coming term

My folks are teachers so when I say this is mean it: thank you for everything you do and good luck this coming term

Thank you! I am starting a new job and I am very excited the coming year.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Follow kaleab On Twitter

Hi,

You are doing Mermaiding and there are some necessary skills to master before you put on a mermaid tail. I'm now trying to take away the fun from you, 'cause actually, they are easy to master. The only reason I recommended this is because you are not sure of your swimming abilities and that is one of the things you need, you need to be confident in your swimming skills. You can have that confidence if you master this 6 basic swimming skills.

I didn't make this lists. In fact, these basic swimming skills were outlined by Royal Life Saving after people tried to ban mermaid tails cause they cause drowning. they did an intense research on mermaid tails and monofins and came up with the skills required for mermaiding for safe swimming. you can read about the reviews by royal saving on this link

https://royallifesavingwa.com.au/-/m...E9CB844207E400

And I have attached an infographic below that tells you the swimming skills needed from you.

Attribution: http://www.wannabemermaid.com/mermaiding/
    Last edited by kaleab; 08-16-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Awesome thanks