Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deformed monofin

  1. #1
    Member Euro Pod
    Undisclosed Pod
    crystalleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    düsseldorf, germany
    Posts
    53

    Unhappy Deformed monofin

    So about a year and a half ago I got my Mernation Genesis tail. Itīs my first silicontail and I was really happy. At that time the monofin (finis rapid) had a snug fit but was comfortable. About a month later it was already quite painfully tight if used for an extended amount of time and half a year later I was only able to endure it for about half an hour. Right now the Footpockets are so deformed, itīs hard to even get my hand in there. Wearing it isnīt even possible anymore I think the problem is caused by the Silicon being to heavy, does anyone have experiences with something like this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,213
    sadly caved in foot pockets are really common in mermaid tails. I have a finis foil in mine and even though it's a different structure it's totally caved in. And I hate wearing my rapid without socks for the same reason.

    You are bang on the money, it's the weight of the flukes weighing them down. You can buy shoe stretchers to put inside the pockets to try and fight the warp. But I know Iona had an old mertailor that had the same problem and she couldn't use it anymore.

    I find mine brutal to get on but once it's on my feet are OK. I am sorry you're having this issue.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    480
    You could try using shoe stretchers. They look like feet, and are designed to fix issues like this. Get them, shove them in the foot pockets, and let them sit for weeks.
    I tried them on a mahina that did not fit, and they did help.
    If they do work, then leave them in the tail whenever its being stored to prevent a re-collapse.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

    Let the storm rage on!

  4. #4
    Oh no! Hopefully you still have the foot pocket inserts that came with the tail. We do recommend you keep those in the monofin when not in use to prevent warping if not, great recommendations up above. Keep the forms in when not in use and it’ll help “warp” it back into hopefully a usable shape.

  5. #5
    Member Euro Pod
    Undisclosed Pod
    crystalleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    düsseldorf, germany
    Posts
    53
    First off: Thank you all for such fast and helpful replies
    Iīll definitly try those shoe stretchers^^ the foot pocket inserts didnīt actually do much >.<" (maybe I did something wrong?) with time it just became harder to get them in and out of the tail, when I used it, until I couldnīt get them in anymore :/ But after looking at the monofin again it seems like not only the black footpockets are caved in but also the thick yellow plastic around it has bend. Iīll report if the shoestretchers work anyway ^^
    And thank you all again

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    You could try using shoe stretchers. They look like feet, and are designed to fix issues like this. Get them, shove them in the foot pockets, and let them sit for weeks.
    I tried them on a mahina that did not fit, and they did help.
    If they do work, then leave them in the tail whenever its being stored to prevent a re-collapse.
    Ohh where do you get the shoe stretchers from? That's a good idea, I have a high foot arch so my Mahina always feels too tight on me.
    Website
    http://unicornmermaid.com - Unicorns and Mermaids all over the world unite!

    Facebook

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by UnicornMermaid View Post
    Ohh where do you get the shoe stretchers from? That's a good idea, I have a high foot arch so my Mahina always feels too tight on me.
    Amazon has them.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

    Let the storm rage on!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Posts
    271
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalleaf View Post
    So about a year and a half ago I got my Mernation Genesis tail. Itīs my first silicontail and I was really happy. At that time the monofin (finis rapid) had a snug fit but was comfortable. About a month later it was already quite painfully tight if used for an extended amount of time and half a year later I was only able to endure it for about half an hour. Right now the Footpockets are so deformed, itīs hard to even get my hand in there. Wearing it isnīt even possible anymore I think the problem is caused by the Silicon being to heavy, does anyone have experiences with something like this?
    Part of this sounds like not re-inserting the plastic shape holders. I've made the mistake before and let the tail sit a few weeks before the next use. Ouch.

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Posts
    271
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mernation View Post
    Oh no! Hopefully you still have the foot pocket inserts that came with the tail. We do recommend you keep those in the monofin when not in use to prevent warping if not, great recommendations up above. Keep the forms in when not in use and it’ll help “warp” it back into hopefully a usable shape.
    My brain went here immediately.

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •