Thread: The "Long Term" Efefcts of mermaiding

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

The "Long Term" Efefcts of mermaiding

edit: IT WONT LET ME FIX MY TYPO SORRY lol

What are the "Long Term" effects of "mermaiding"? I explore after a year long survey and a published study! Check it out: https://www.mermaidraina.com/blog-tu...-of-mermaiding
    Last edited by AniaR; 08-22-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    Very interesting read, thank you!

Thank you for this. It really inspires me to become a mermaid.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Junior Member Pod of Cali Kidiu's Avatar
    Oh wow Raina, that’s an amazingly detailed, thorough study! I actually didn’t even think there would be so many pros and cons. I guess most people don’t consider them until after they start experiencing symptoms. L
    For myself, the feeling of belonging and friendship, plus being crafty with my hands, has helped my depression.
    Now, the fact that so many mers have had a dangerous animal encounter really makes me nervous to swim in natural water, LoL. I wonder if they’re stories are posted here? I’m really curious, I’m kinda afraid of sharks....

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    If sharks are a problem stick to freshwater

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Having trouble swimming anywhere without a fin is definitely one.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

I enjoyed this article. I had a thought, do you think the prevalence of back pain could be due to incorrect dolphin kick technique or other " bad" swimming habits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    I enjoyed this article. I had a thought, do you think the prevalence of back pain could be due to incorrect dolphin kick technique or other " bad" swimming habits?

For me, this is a yes. The first time I used my Mahina merfin, I pulled a back muscle. Bear in mind too, at that time, I had only just started swimming so I didn't have any core strength. Which was what done me in. It took several months to heal. And once my back recovered, I put the merfin aside and never went back to it. I now use my smaller monofins, which I quite like and prefer.

Everyone says its all neutrally buoyant but for a first time user of the merfin, I found it bit heavy and rather tiring.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Bear in mind, correlation does not imply causation. Back pain could be caused by other, not as obvious factors. Did these people experience more or less or the same back pain before they started merswim? Take the same amount of people of the same ages and sexes who don't merswim and see what amount of back pain they suffer.

So I think from my own experience, and I have to disclaim this is just my own observation.

When we did our study we tested the finis monofins in silicone tails. Without intervention but having people monitor our kick to be sure it was correct, we all ended up with back pain. But this didn't happen when we were just in the monofins not in silicone.

The engineers for our study took out the foot pocket of the monofins and created their own that was more of a boot and distributed the force differently in the silicone tail. When we just swam with the modified monofin, we had trouble doing the kick, but in the silicone tail our kick was perfect AND no back pain.

I think more research is needed into the differences between regular monofin swimming, but then the force implications of being in a tail. I personally think based on our small engineering study combined with my personal experience that yes kick can totally play a difference, but that we still need a way to compensate for the excessive and oddly distributed force.

I can't think of much else in life that applies force to the hips for instance, in the way that a mermaid tail does. Our legs are closer together with a constant force against them, when compared to only a monofin.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    AniaR, that's intriguing. Biomechanics!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The study was aimed at pro mermaids right? If there is a next time, will it include recreational merfolk and fabric (spandex and neoprene) tails?
    It might give a different point of view for non pro mermaids and what we can do as a community to combat those effects.
    Formerly known as ireneho

The "Long Term" Efefcts of mermaiding

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    So I think from my own experience, and I have to disclaim this is just my own observation.

When we did our study we tested the finis monofins in silicone tails. Without intervention but having people monitor our kick to be sure it was correct, we all ended up with back pain. But this didn't happen when we were just in the monofins not in silicone.

The engineers for our study took out the foot pocket of the monofins and created their own that was more of a boot and distributed the force differently in the silicone tail. When we just swam with the modified monofin, we had trouble doing the kick, but in the silicone tail our kick was perfect AND no back pain.

I think more research is needed into the differences between regular monofin swimming, but then the force implications of being in a tail. I personally think based on our small engineering study combined with my personal experience that yes kick can totally play a difference, but that we still need a way to compensate for the excessive and oddly distributed force.

I can't think of much else in life that applies force to the hips for instance, in the way that a mermaid tail does. Our legs are closer together with a constant force against them, when compared to only a monofin.
    Wow I didn't think my question would get such a thoughtful response, thank you I think if we all become our own best study of the dolphin kick we could get so much closer to the answer and diminish the cons of mermaiding, awareness always leads to better practice. Maybe all of us should record our own findings here when we get the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    The study was aimed at pro mermaids right? If there is a next time, will it include recreational merfolk and fabric (spandex and neoprene) tails?
    It might give a different point of view for non pro mermaids and what we can do as a community to combat those effects.
    The survey I did included everyone, the study just looked at silicone. I don't plan on running anymore studies haha but if I am invited to participate in one, I'll let ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Wow I didn't think my question would get such a thoughtful response, thank you I think if we all become our own best study of the dolphin kick we could get so much closer to the answer and diminish the cons of mermaiding, awareness always leads to better practice. Maybe all of us should record our own findings here when we get the opportunity.

I def found when I took freediving courses and focused more on a better kick, that I got less foot cramps!