Thread: Best Material for netting? Looking for inspiration.

Lightbulb Best Material for netting? Looking for inspiration.

Let's preface this: I spin yarn in my free time using a spinning wheel. I've been researching netmaking techniques after seeing such awesome net bras / tops / waist bands on the community.

Does anyone know what the most comfortable fiber to make nets for mermaid tops/clothing is? (i.e. cotton, silk, wool) I'd love to start spinning for beautiful nets.

Thanks for inspiring!
    - Chelsea Selkie

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Cotton absorbs water and will go rotten. Silk I'm not sure. Wool, it depends on the blend. I read somewhere that Fisherman's Wool and untreated wool still have their lanolin in it. The lanolin is what makes it waterproof. Its not something that you can just buy a ball of wool and lanolin cream and do it yourself. That's just gonna be messy! It has to be wool that has the sheep lanolin. I've not made a netting with it yet, but that's what I garnered when I was reading up on Fisherman's and untreated wool, for weaving.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I am surprised to hear this about cotton. There are a lot of cotton swimsuits and washcloths I have seen of late. Do they degrade faster than synthetics? I haven't personally used one.

Wool with lanolin has a very strong smell when wet. I am not sure mermaids would like to smell like a wet sheep the entirety of their swim. (And after if they just rinse off and don't actually shower) Chlorine will wash the lanolin from the wool over time, making it unsuitable for pool use. While it is excellent for rain gear and field clothes, I am not sure it would be good for swimwear.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

When I made my netted bag, I used Chinese knotting cord.

I wonder if I can find some Nylon fibers, M. Jaffa! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSelkie View Post
    I wonder if I can find some Nylon fibers, M. Jaffa! Thank you!
    My netted bag has seen chlorine a few times, and still looks as bright and new.

If you take care to wash and rinse well with fresh water and wetsuit or swimwear wash, it'll last a long time.

Nylon or polyester cord will do just fine.